2003 Graham LBV

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Post Reply
User avatar
JacobH
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2283
Joined: 16:37 Sat 03 May 2008
Location: London, UK
Contact:

2003 Graham LBV

Post by JacobH » 22:02 Tue 30 Dec 2008

This is available everywhere in the UK, frequently for not very much money. The 2000 and 2001 versions of this were all rated pretty highly (prompting much ‟why do they filter it?” discussions). I’m less convinced by this younger offering. It doesn’t have the same complexity or chocolaty undertones of 2001 and seems to be headed more in the Ruby Reserve direction than the VP. Perhaps the LBV suffered in terms of the better grapes being directed towards the VP? I think I am unlikely to pick up any more of this unless it becomes exceptionally cheap.

-Jacob
Image

morteno
Cockburn’s Special Reserve
Posts: 46
Joined: 16:21 Fri 28 Mar 2008
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: 2003 Graham LBV

Post by morteno » 19:29 Fri 09 Jan 2009

I think this is the most boring LBV I've ever had. Too sweet, bland blend of fruit taste, too pleasing (but doesn't succeed), no structure etc. And it's not even among the cheaper ones. If I had more in my 'cellar' I would use it to make glögg. I bet the 6 grapes, which I haven't tried yet, is better. And they cost the same.

Glenn E.
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3276
Joined: 22:27 Wed 09 Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: 2003 Graham LBV

Post by Glenn E. » 22:01 Fri 09 Jan 2009

If the rumors - which I have only heard, never read - are to be believed, Graham's Six Grapes contains their second best grapes after their VP. So it wouldn't surprise me a bit if their LBV weren't stellar in comparison.
Glenn Elliott

User avatar
DRT
Graham’s 1948
Posts: 14949
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: 2003 Graham LBV

Post by DRT » 23:10 Fri 09 Jan 2009

Glenn E. wrote:If the rumors - which I have only heard, never read - are to be believed, Graham's Six Grapes contains their second best grapes after their VP. So it wouldn't surprise me a bit if their LBV weren't stellar in comparison.
I was told this by a tour guide on a private tour of the Graham's lodge in VNG.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2424
Joined: 22:09 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Sky Blue City, England

Re: 2003 Graham LBV

Post by KillerB » 18:49 Sat 10 Jan 2009

Yes, but using only six grapes to make an entire bottle - it's not going to be very strong is it? :?
Port is basically a red drink

Glenn E.
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3276
Joined: 22:27 Wed 09 Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: 2003 Graham LBV

Post by Glenn E. » 19:57 Sat 10 Jan 2009

They're very big grapes.
Glenn Elliott

User avatar
JacobH
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2283
Joined: 16:37 Sat 03 May 2008
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: 2003 Graham LBV

Post by JacobH » 22:44 Sat 10 Jan 2009

Glenn E. wrote:They're very big grapes.
5723493_87b3508038.jpg
http://flickr.com/photos/lorismaria/5723493/
5723493_87b3508038.jpg (52.32 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
Image

User avatar
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980
Posts: 1959
Joined: 08:28 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: Middle Earth

Re: 2003 Graham LBV

Post by RonnieRoots » 12:02 Sun 11 Jan 2009

I've never been wowed by the Graham's LBV. I never understood its place between Six Grapes (decent ruby reserve) and Crusted (good glass of port and could easily replace the LBV).

User avatar
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV
Posts: 244
Joined: 12:50 Wed 08 Aug 2007
Location: Germany

Re: 2003 Graham LBV

Post by Michael M. » 20:07 Sun 11 Jan 2009

RonnieRoots wrote:I've never been wowed by the Graham's LBV. I never understood its place between Six Grapes (decent ruby reserve) and Crusted (good glass of port and could easily replace the LBV).
I can second Morton and Ronald. Graham's LBV is not one I would look for again. I found it to be boring too. On the other side I found the Crusted Port well worth to seek out and I also would say, it would be worth to cellar some years. More like a VP than many others LBVs. I do like the "Six Grapes", but here in D for 20-25 EUR not very appealing. In NL for 15 EUR surely worth a try.
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port

User avatar
JacobH
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2283
Joined: 16:37 Sat 03 May 2008
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: 2003 Graham LBV

Post by JacobH » 21:28 Sun 11 Jan 2009

Michael M. wrote:
RonnieRoots wrote:I've never been wowed by the Graham's LBV. I never understood its place between Six Grapes (decent ruby reserve) and Crusted (good glass of port and could easily replace the LBV).
I can second Morton and Ronald. Graham's LBV is not one I would look for again. I found it to be boring too. On the other side I found the Crusted Port well worth to seek out and I also would say, it would be worth to cellar some years. More like a VP than many others LBVs. I do like the "Six Grapes", but here in D for 20-25 EUR not very appealing. In NL for 15 EUR surely worth a try.
Hmm!I’m not sure I would write off all of their LBVs. I thought the 2001 was pretty solid in June and Alex has confessed to mistaking the 2000 as a VP. I’ll certainly try the 2004 when it’s released.

Incidentally, if those are the prices you are paying for Port, you should start importing from the UK, especially with the GBP/EUR rate being what it is!
Image

User avatar
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2424
Joined: 22:09 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Sky Blue City, England

Re: 2003 Graham LBV

Post by KillerB » 00:20 Mon 12 Jan 2009

This thread made me check the bottles at Morrison's to see what the vintage was. It was 2003 so I left it. I wouldn't have even bothered normally and I probably wouldn't have bought even if it was 2000 but now you've got me OCDing like the rest of you. Thanks.
Port is basically a red drink

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest