1996 Taylor Vargellas

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

1996 Taylor Vargellas

Post by JacobH »

1996 Taylor Quinta de Vargellas Half Bottle SQVP
After a bad day at work, followed by all the Vargellas talk (e.g. here or here), I decided to kill one of these off young.

As is usual with halves, the cork was rubbish; it split in two and getting rid of the lower half took forever.

0+ Darkly complex nose; perhaps some sugar molasses or muscovado sugar. In the mouth, there is loads of heat. Beyond that cherries, currants, perhaps a little nutmeg. The mouth-feel is full and chewy. The finish is enormously long ending in a little finesse perhaps caused by this bottle beginning to mature. This is not a Port to drink quickly. Small sips seem the best way of enjoying it.

Excellent stuff. Exactly what I needed. I will be seeking out some more!
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 1996 Taylor Quinta de Vargellas Half Bottle SQVP

Post by JacobH »

24+ This has mellowed a bit. There isn’t that initial hit of alcohol that was present last night but that’s not to underestimate the amount of fire present. The tannins are much more present tonight (probably because they are less obscured by that initial hit). The long after-taste is still there but I think at this stage, this Port would reach perfect drinking time about 12 hours ago; halfway between opening and now.

It’s still great, though :)
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: 1996 Taylor Quinta de Vargellas Half Bottle SQVP

Post by Axel P »

Jacob,

though I like the 95 better I had the same experience with the corks. They suck tremendously on both, 95s and 96s half bottles.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com