The Port Forum Offline #2 - 1st Sep 2007

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I have just realised that KillerB does not have an official F-Plan Task. I therefore declare him Assistant Cheese Man 88)

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

F-plan: JDAW things

Post by jdaw1 »

• I will print the tasting mats.
  • Conky: I’ll pay for a dozen glasses for me, which afterwards might fall into the possession of Ghandhi. Please order and I’ll refund on arrival.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Derek T. wrote:I have just realised that KillerB does not have an official F-Plan Task. I therefore declare him Assistant Cheese Man 88)
That's a task well suited for the 4k bloke. 88)
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

T-shirts?

Post by jdaw1 »

Dress code: since the DJ has been nixed, I’m thinking of getting t-shirts, with printed upon them, this picture (caution: graphic wider than your screen). The typefaces match, and the design is meant to echo, that of the placemats.

Is there passionate disagreement?
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

We'd look a right set of lemons! But I'm up for it. Can you get XXXL? I'm not small!

(One of the reasons I dont mind looking a prize pumpkin, is I've just found out the adjoining neighbours go on their Jollys that day, so noise or bad dress code, will not come back to haunt me! :D )

Alan
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

What size is Debs?

Post by jdaw1 »

XXXL: if that’s what it is called. Or PM me your weight and I’ll tell that to the t-shirt man. Alex B is trim; I’m fifteen stone; Ghhhhhandi is only an edge lighter than me; others? Mixed male sizes?

What size is Debs? (Debs? Deborah? Please instruct.)

At a subsequent tasting with informal dress, you’ll wear the F shirt with pride.

Edit: it’s probably too late for complaints, I’m off to order shirts. One XXXL, three my size (prob XL), two one size down (prob L), and one M for Debs.
Last edited by jdaw1 on 20:03 Fri 24 Aug 2007, edited 1 time in total.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: What size is Debs?

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Edit: it’s probably too late for complaints, I’m off to order shirts. One XXXL, three my size (prob XL), two one size down (prob L), and one M for Debs.
Alan and I will have to take turns using the XXXL one :P

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

TPF Offline #2 Checklist Update
  • Fonseca 1920 - on Death Row, decant 15 minutes before serving
  • Fonseca 1963 - awaiting collection from Tom, decant at T-6 Hours
  • Fonseca 1966 - on Death Row, decant at T-6 Hours
  • Fonseca 1970 - awaiting collection from Tom, decant at T-6 Hours
  • Fonseca 1975 - on Death Row, decant at T-4 Hours
  • Fonseca 1977 - awaiting collection from Tom, decant at T-6 Hours
  • Fonseca 1980 - awaiting collection from Tom, decant at T-6 Hours
  • Fonseca 1983 - awaiting collection from Tom, decant at T-6 Hours
  • Fonseca 1985 - on Death Row, decant at T-24hrs
  • Fonseca 1992 - awaiting collection from Tom, decant at T-10 Hours
  • Fonseca 2000 - on Death Row, decant at T-24 Hours
  • Tatsing Mats Production - Jdaws Task (completed)
  • Tasting Mat Delivery - Jdaw's Task
  • T-shirts - Jdaw's Task
  • Glasses (39 available) - group to decide if more required
  • Accomodation - all doss down at Conky's - Derek & Ghandih to bring sleeping bags
  • Steaks & BBQ - Conky's Task
  • Cheese - Ghandih's Task
  • Cheese assistance - KillerB's Task
  • Cigars - Derek's Task
  • Camera - Derek's Task
  • Laptop with 3G/Wireless and http://www.flickr.com account - Derek's Task
  • Collecting Jdaw from Airport - Alan's Task
  • Visiting Orange with jdaw - Alan's Task
  • Lovely Debs Prezzie - Each guest to bring small token of appreciation, including Conky
  • Breakfast - Lovely Debs Task
Derek
Last edited by DRT on 22:30 Fri 24 Aug 2007, edited 1 time in total.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Spoke to the glasses bloke. Sent him a Email link to show what we wanted. He says they seem to be the same. I'll go and see on Tuesday, and if they are I'll buy 2dozen. Thats hardly any expense and then we'll all have 10 each. I think we should have a 'full placemat', with the opportunity to revisit which ever one you want as the conversation develops. (Can I say, I'm begining to really look forward to it, now its getting close)

Are you sure we have at least 30 already? We need 50 and a couple of spares, to be safe.

Alan
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

F-plan news

Post by jdaw1 »

Man said t-shirts would take four days. Four hours later he calls me to say they’re done. Collected; and paperwork printed. :-)

May I say, I too am looking forward to this? My taste buds are tingling at the thought of Fonseca from 1963, 1970, 1977 and 1985. And the other years. In fact, I might have to decant something as a warm-up: an athlete of my calibre stays in the best possible form though constant training. Blood, sweat, tears, and vintage port.

Edit: please could my status of “Tasting Mat & T-shirt Man† be changed to “Eagerly anticipating†?

Edit edit: by phone the wife and I have declared it to be an emergency. Decanting in progress.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: F-plan news

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:please could my status of “Tasting Mat & T-shirt Man† be changed to “Eagerly anticipating†?
Done :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Conky wrote:Are you sure we have at least 30 already? We need 50 and a couple of spares, to be safe.
From previous posts I believe that you have 6, KillerB has 8 and I have 13. Jdaw asked you to buy 12 which means we have 39. If you buy another dozen we will have 51. We have 11 wines and 5 people, so we need 4 more to make up the set.

How much is it for 12 glasses?

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

He was saying they were on offer, because no one ever bought them :roll: He said £8 something plus vat. I think Julian wanted the fancy expensive ones. Apologies, but I've ignored that one. He's actually linked us to wine glasses. The Port ones are 4 ouncers, and were on another page.
So I'll need 3 dozen. Leave it with me. It'll get a bit panicky on Tuesday, if they are the WRONG sort. :D

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Alan,

I would suggest you take one of you own port glasses with you to compare. There are lots of examples of glasses which are the same shape as the ones you have but much smaller and not suitable for a tasting.

Is he really asking £8 per dozen to buy or is this to hire?

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Is there a picture online of said glasses?

Post by jdaw1 »

Is there a picture online of said glasses?
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

No, there's no pictures. Its a firm called Kitchequip, but I cant find the glass section. I sent him the IVDP link of those glasses with the slight indent in the stem. He replied that those glasses were 4 ounce glasses, like the ones he's selling. He then said people show interest, but then think they are too small for wine. I strongly suspect we've found the right ones.
And yes £8 plus vat. I think he said £9.50 a dozen, but cant be sure. They could be a steal, but I'll only know on Tuesday. He said he only ever bought 4 dozen, and could never shift them.

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Alan,

If they are as described then I am happy to take 12 for £9.50.

In fact, if they are as described I would suggest you buy all 48 and if KillerB doesn't want 12 I will take 24 :D

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Bloody Hell!

So we've gone all round the houses, considered all our options, double checked and re-affirmed.

And we're now back were we started. 3 or 4 dozen at low cost, to be split up the morning after! ARGHH!!!

Alan :lol: :lol: :lol:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I was under the impression that the £40 was a hire cost. Getting to keep enough port glasses to hold a tasting for <£20 is nt what I had expected.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

glasses: timely delivery

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek T. wrote:suggest you buy all 48
Presumably that is conditional on timely delivery.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Re: glasses: timely delivery

Post by Conky »

jdaw1 wrote:
Derek T. wrote:suggest you buy all 48
Presumably that is conditional on timely delivery.
Come on Jdaw1, keep up. Thats why I said I'm going to see them on Tuesday to confirm they are the right ones. If they are, they'll be bought there and then, and transported home.

I suspect that's the effect of that dodgy Noval Nacional you've just had? Derek brought my only experience of Nacional to an Off-Line once, and it was as you described. That was an 87 as well? Shame.

Alan
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Just thinking, although there's lots of years we wont be trying, through price or rarity. Aren't we missing the 94? I accept its on the young side, and possibly a touch of infanticide, but wouldn't that have been better than the 2000?
I'm begining to suspect 94 is going to be a 5 star year as it develops. That a discussion for 'Port Topics' but whats the thoughts? If we have to do a youngster, and this is one of the occassions were I agree. The comparison will be fascinating, shouldn't it be 94?

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I had the same thoughts myself but the problem is finding a source at this stage in the game.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Ghandih
Fonseca LBV

Post by Ghandih »

Blimey! Postings here are accelerating fast. I think I'm still cheesy, I need a sleeping bag and a pressie, and something is happening with the glasses. If some are bought that I have to pay for and own afterwards, and the price is of the order previously mentioned, that's fine by me.

Am also rather very excited. :D
A man who likes vintage ports, and we're not talking Carthage
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

On Wine Searcher. Bibendum in London has two bottles for £73. And Derek was there all last week! Arghh!!!

Just out of interest, Crush Wines and Spirits have a half bottle for £60, in New York???

I'm very happy with what we've got, I am just getting a little greedy. :D

Alan