Time for a TN sort?

Make suggestions and report problems.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Time for a TN sort?

Post by JacobH »

Glenn E. wrote:
JacobH wrote:It sounds like 1924 should therefore be excluded...
What's wrong with 1924?
It would have been declared at about the time of the 1926 coup d'état and therefore factors 1 and 2 of jdaw1's three reasons would apply...
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JacobH wrote:It would have been declared at about the time of the 1926 coup d'état and therefore factors 1 and 2 of jdaw1's three reasons would apply...
Do you reason to believe that the shippers thought that the coup might imperil their businesses?
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

jdaw1 wrote:
JacobH wrote:It would have been declared at about the time of the 1926 coup d'état and therefore factors 1 and 2 of jdaw1's three reasons would apply...
Do you reason to believe that the shippers thought that the coup might imperil their businesses?
Yes, were I to be a shipper, I would have feared that.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JacobH wrote:Yes, were I to be a shipper, I would have feared that.
More evidence required. In the ’75 coup at least one shipper drank its stocks of old port, thinking they were going to be confiscated. Have you evidence of like behaviour in the mid-1920s?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Something that has puzzled me for a while, is the occasional apparent inconsistency in the layout of the tasting note index. By way of illustration, consider:

1863 Ferreira - there are two tasting notes and these both show as separate sub-titles under the 1863 title

1890 unknown - there are two tasting notes, but these show as separate sub-sub-titles under the 1890 title and the Unknown sub-title.

Is there a subtle difference between the two types of tasting notes that I am missing or is this a process gap?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

AHB wrote:1863 Ferreira - there are two tasting notes and these both show as separate sub-titles under the 1863 title

1890 unknown - there are two tasting notes, but these show as separate sub-sub-titles under the 1890 title and the Unknown sub-title.
Whoops.

In the alphabetical index it is clear that there is a Ferreira 1863 VP, and a Ferreira 1863 garrafeira. But in the date index that distinction is less clear: the two Fr1863s appear as separate lines, without garrafeira being mentioned. My error: more coding required.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Thanks for the explanation. Now I realise that only those wines allocated an abbreviation are vintage ports. The penny has dropped.

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

To the alphabetical TN index some â—Šs have been added. These link to themselves: hence right-click copy-link on the â—Š Morgan copies a link to www.theportforum.com/Tasting_Notes/alph ... #[b]morgan[/b]. Which might be useful if one wanted to link directly thereto.

Hypothetically, such links might appear on a map.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Should the Quinta da Eira Velha 2000 (of Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference fame) really be described as Martinez Quinta da Eira Velha when it mentions no shipper on the bottle? The reason for asking is that, as far as I can see, the Quinta has never been owned by Martinez, but has simply supplied wines to them (and Cockburn’s when they owned Martinez) since 1979. The bottles themselves describe it as being made by the Symingtons.

The situation is likely to get more complex as the Quinta was bought by the Taylor Fladgate Partnership in 2007 from its long-standing owners (the Newman family) but I’m not sure what’s happening to the wines now.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JacobH wrote:Martinez Quinta da Eira Velha
I think we had planned to change it to just ‟Quinta da Eira Velha”, but somebody (looks around innocently) forgot.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

May I remove the poster names from the TN indexes. E.g.:
Though DRT started the thread in capacity as tasting organiser his TN doesn’t appear in it. This problem is widespread: e.g., threads started by me, containing a very brief JDAW TN, and a long and worthwhile AHB TN. My initials appear in the index to what value?

May I remove the poster names?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:May I remove the poster names?
Yes from me.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

I believe http://www.quintadaromaneira.pt/ and http://www.quintadocruzeiro.com/ are not links for the Romaneira and Cruzeiro that interest us...
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Thank you, though DRT told me about one of those. Feel free to suggest replacements.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

JacobH wrote:I believe http://www.quintadaromaneira.pt/ and http://www.quintadocruzeiro.com/ are not links for the Romaneira and Cruzeiro that interest us...
Romaneira links to the correct quinta, just the hotel part of it (there doesn't seem to be a site for the wine/port part?), but Cruzeiro seems to be a completely different quinta. Might I suggest a simple link to the site of Fonseca for this one?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RonnieRoots wrote:Romaneira links to the correct quinta, just the hotel part of it (there doesn't seem to be a site for the wine/port part?)
I may be wrong but I think that the Hotel and the Wineary are completely separate businesses, albeit that both share some of the same owners/shareholders.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

RonnieRoots wrote:
JacobH wrote:I believe http://www.quintadaromaneira.pt/ and http://www.quintadocruzeiro.com/ are not links for the Romaneira and Cruzeiro that interest us...
Romaneira links to the correct quinta, just the hotel part of it (there doesn't seem to be a site for the wine/port part?), but Cruzeiro seems to be a completely different quinta. Might I suggest a simple link to the site of Fonseca for this one?
Opps...I saw the boat and the lack of mention of wine and assumed it was on the Algave!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JacobH wrote:Should the Quinta da Eira Velha 2000 (of Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference fame) really be described as Martinez Quinta da Eira Velha when it mentions no shipper on the bottle?
No. Fixed.
jdaw1 wrote:May I remove the poster names from the TN indexes. E.g.:
Though DRT started the thread in capacity as tasting organiser his TN doesn’t appear in it.
Poster names JDAW and DRT removed, as we often mass-create threads. (Except when Topic_OverridePoster is non-blank.) Other poster names remain.

Indexes (alphabetical, date) updated.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Map problems: donamaria; gontelho; novanossasenhoracarmo; madalena.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Madalena was a typo; sorry. For the others I have: donamaria=valededonamaria (do people expect "Vale de X" quintas to be under V or under X?); gontelho=javali (I had been working on the principle that the quinta had been renamed, but I might be wrong); and novanossasenhoracarmo=nova. Your thoughts?

There's also a random bottle of Noval floating around in the "D" section.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

jdaw1 wrote:May I remove the poster names from the TN indexes. E.g.:
Though DRT started the thread in capacity as tasting organiser his TN doesn’t appear in it. This problem is widespread: e.g., threads started by me, containing a very brief JDAW TN, and a long and worthwhile AHB TN. My initials appear in the index to what value?

May I remove the poster names?
I think this would be a good idea. I think the original intent for having the names was so that someone browsing the index could see who pasted the note rather than who started the thread. This orginal intent is difficult to achieve, so I would vote to remove the poster name.

Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

JacobH wrote:Madalena was a typo; sorry. For the others I have: donamaria=valededonamaria (do people expect "Vale de X" quintas to be under V or under X?)...
Personally, I would want to find it under both as I think it is one of those abbreviations which depends on the person who is doing the abbreviating.

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

AHB wrote:Personally, I would want to find it under both as I think it is one of those abbreviations which depends on the person who is doing the abbreviating.
No. Neither are for humans to type. They are just tags so that the TN index and JGH’s map can link to each other.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

jdaw1 wrote:
AHB wrote:Personally, I would want to find it under both as I think it is one of those abbreviations which depends on the person who is doing the abbreviating.
No. Neither are for humans to type. They are just tags so that the TN index and JGH’s map can link to each other.
There is a separate question as to whether an alphabetical list of quintas should go:

Quinta do Côtto
Quinta da Corte
Quinta do Crasto
Quinta do Cruzeiro
Quinta do Vale de Dona Maria
Quinta da Eira Velha
Quinta de Ervamoira

or

Quinta do Tedo
Quinta de Terra Feita
Quinta da Trovisca
Quinta do Tua
Quinta do Vale de Dona Maria
Quinta Vale do Meão
Quinta do Vallado
Quinta de Vargellas
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

My list of names has one for presentation, and one for alpha-sort. For alpha-sort the only Q is Quevedo.