1986 Taylor Terra Feita

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Post Reply
User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19669
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

1986 Taylor Terra Feita

Post by jdaw1 » 11:42 Tue 19 Apr 2011

The label wrote:Taylor’s
Quinta de Terra Feita
Vintage Port
Bottled in 1988
Bottled by Taylor Fladgate & Yeatman
Vinhos SA Vila Nova de Gaia
1986
Supplied and delivered by the fine partnership of Archer & Cook, one of the great wine merchants of 2011 Paris. :-)
The cork wrote:T.F.
1986
Vintage
Porto
Decanted at 12:20, a few minutes later the decanter-priming sample (that idea being a triumph of oenological technology) being 40% opaque, brick red at center, brown at edge. Nose has freshness, that might be mint, with a very pleasant hint of alcohol. Early palate medium-light, but becoming rich and fuller and better into the late palate by which time medium-heavy. Dark fruits, like a sweet damson, lots of structure tannin and acid and in severe danger of being drunk before it has breathed enough. Very fine juice.

Alas Archer & Cook, the rotten scoundrels, refused to sell me more than six. :-(

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19669
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: 1986 Taylor Terra Feita

Post by jdaw1 » 16:20 Tue 19 Apr 2011

TTF86 at D+6hr: perhaps a change in the light, and perhaps it really is 60% opaque dark red. Early-palate lots of dark cherry and plum with powerful tannins. Mid-palate a mid-weight (maybe slightly less than mid-weight) sweetness with heat, followed by a mid-to-light but very pleasant continuation of previous flavours. Thoroughly enjoyable.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this was made by one of those scallywag companies that, incredibly, act as if writing ‟75cl” on the label gives some kind of legalistic weasel-worded excuse to put less than 1¼ litres in the bottle.

User avatar
DRT
Graham’s 1948
Posts: 14986
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: 1986 Taylor Terra Feita

Post by DRT » 19:07 Tue 19 Apr 2011

jdaw1 wrote:I have a sneaking suspicion that this was made by one of those scallywag companies that, incredibly, act as if writing ‟75cl” on the label gives some kind of legalistic weasel-worded excuse to put less than 1¼ litres in the bottle.
Are you sure there isn't a hole in the bottom of the bottle or your glass? Sometimes that happens and it seems like you just don't get enough to quench your thirst. Strangely enough, it only seems to happen with things that don't taste like Hutcheson 1970.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19669
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: 1986 Taylor Terra Feita

Post by jdaw1 » 19:48 Tue 19 Apr 2011

DRT wrote:Are you sure there isn't a hole in the bottom of the bottle or your glass?
Having inspected carefully I have just realised that each of the bottle, the decanter, and the glass have a hole at the top. Could that be the problem?

User avatar
DRT
Graham’s 1948
Posts: 14986
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: 1986 Taylor Terra Feita

Post by DRT » 22:50 Tue 19 Apr 2011

jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:Are you sure there isn't a hole in the bottom of the bottle or your glass?
Having inspected carefully I have just realised that each of the bottle, the decanter, and the glass have a hole at the top. Could that be the problem?
That could certainly be the problem, especially if all or one of the three has been tilted over more than once. What you need is a 6 litre bottle with a solid base and a straw. That should fix your problem for at least 2 days unless you have guests.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19669
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: 1986 Taylor Terra Feita

Post by jdaw1 » 23:23 Tue 19 Apr 2011

DRT wrote:What you need is a 6 litre bottle with a solid base and a straw. That should fix your problem for at least 2 days unless you have guests.
Coincidentally, TFP recently re-refused to sell me a 6L bottle. :-(

User avatar
DRT
Graham’s 1948
Posts: 14986
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: 1986 Taylor Terra Feita

Post by DRT » 23:50 Tue 19 Apr 2011

jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:What you need is a 6 litre bottle with a solid base and a straw. That should fix your problem for at least 2 days unless you have guests.
Coincidentally, TFP recently re-refused to sell me a 6L bottle. :-(
As far as I am aware, TFP are not qualified Doctors.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19669
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: 1986 Taylor Terra Feita

Post by jdaw1 » 00:03 Wed 20 Apr 2011

DRT wrote:TFP are not qualified Doctors.
Oh no. Pharmacists, surely.

User avatar
JacobH
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2283
Joined: 16:37 Sat 03 May 2008
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: 1986 Taylor Terra Feita

Post by JacobH » 12:33 Wed 20 Apr 2011

DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:Are you sure there isn't a hole in the bottom of the bottle or your glass?
Having inspected carefully I have just realised that each of the bottle, the decanter, and the glass have a hole at the top. Could that be the problem?
That could certainly be the problem, especially if all or one of the three has been tilted over more than once. What you need is a 6 litre bottle with a solid base and a straw. That should fix your problem for at least 2 days unless you have guests.
It is important when considering a 6-litre bottle not to over-exert oneself. A siphon is surely a better option than a straw.
Image

User avatar
Cookie
Warre’s Traditional LBV
Posts: 348
Joined: 15:53 Thu 13 Dec 2007
Location: Near Uncle Tom

Re: 1986 Taylor Terra Feita

Post by Cookie » 13:41 Wed 20 Apr 2011

JacobH wrote:
DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:Are you sure there isn't a hole in the bottom of the bottle or your glass?
Having inspected carefully I have just realised that each of the bottle, the decanter, and the glass have a hole at the top. Could that be the problem?
That could certainly be the problem, especially if all or one of the three has been tilted over more than once. What you need is a 6 litre bottle with a solid base and a straw. That should fix your problem for at least 2 days unless you have guests.
It is important when considering a 6-litre bottle not to over-exert oneself. A siphon is surely a better option than a straw.
This is true and you must make sure the bottle is not too far away from you at the time of drinking otherwise you may end up clutching at it.... :roll:
God may have made water...but man made wine. - Victor Hugo

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19669
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: 1986 Taylor Terra Feita

Post by jdaw1 » 13:56 Wed 20 Apr 2011

DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:Are you sure there isn't a hole in the bottom of the bottle or your glass?
Having inspected carefully I have just realised that each of the bottle, the decanter, and the glass have a hole at the top. Could that be the problem?
That could certainly be the problem, especially if all or one of the three has been tilted over more than once.
Exactly two (neither one nor all three) had been tilted more than once.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests