NV Cockburn Special Reserve

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

NV Cockburn Special Reserve

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I took my team on a team building exercise and, as a gesture of thanks since they know I like port, they gave me a 1 litre bottle of Cockburn's Special Reserve.

A gift from my team at work. Mid red, with good depth of colour; pleasant raspberries and cranberries. Neutral impact, but a lovely flavour quickly develops and dominates the palate - masses of fruit, perfect acidity and a touch of soft tannin. Medium- to light-bodied, but very flavoursome. Soft aftertaste, leads to a long finish of dry cranberry and dark chocolate. Very impressive, and much better than it was on opening. 86/100. Drunk on 15 September, after being open for 6 days.

It seems that CSR is back up to the level of quality it used to be! Quite delicious.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: NV Cockburn Special Reserve

Post by JacobH »

I wonder if the take-over has had an effect on the blend of this Port?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: NV Cockburn Special Reserve

Post by DRT »

JacobH wrote:I wonder if the take-over has had an effect on the blend of this Port?
I think the entire production process at Cockburn has changed since SFE took control of the vineyards, wineries, blending and bottling.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn