1992 Quinta do Vesuvio Colheita

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Post Reply
User avatar
AHB
Quinta do Noval Nacional 1962
Posts: 11381
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

1992 Quinta do Vesuvio Colheita

Post by AHB » 17:08 Wed 18 Jul 2012

Deep red in colour with a solid rim. 99% opaque. Restrained on the nose, with a surprising lack of VA but an attractive meat and mint tone. Thick and unctuous texture and a good concentration of flavour with deep tones of prunes and damson - a fabulous palate presence. The long prune finish fades only very slowly to deliver a slightly flabby brown sugar. Tasty, but becoming slightly flabby. 87/100. 12-Jun-12.
Top Port in 2017 (so far): Graham Stone Terraces 2015 and Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
2016 Port of the year: Cockburn 1908

User avatar
JacobH
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2283
Joined: 16:37 Sat 03 May 2008
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: 1992 Vesuvio Reserve colheita

Post by JacobH » 18:33 Sat 21 Jul 2012

Can you remember when this was bottled?
Image

User avatar
AHB
Quinta do Noval Nacional 1962
Posts: 11381
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: 1992 Vesuvio Reserve colheita

Post by AHB » 21:14 Sun 22 Jul 2012

I would assume bottled in 2012. The majority is left in the cask until needed, with just a few bottles being held in the cellar as drinking stock - I guess the equivalent of a cellar defender if you are fortunate enough to have your own quinta!
Top Port in 2017 (so far): Graham Stone Terraces 2015 and Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
2016 Port of the year: Cockburn 1908

Andy Velebil
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2475
Joined: 22:16 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles, Ca USA
Contact:

Re: 1992 Vesuvio Reserve colheita

Post by Andy Velebil » 14:39 Mon 23 Jul 2012

JacobH wrote:Can you remember when this was bottled?
Probably within a week or so. Though that is just a guess as it's only bottled as needed/requested at the Quinta (the casks are stored at the Quinta and not in Gaia).

Glenn E.
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3349
Joined: 22:27 Wed 09 Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: 1992 Vesuvio Reserve colheita

Post by Glenn E. » 20:23 Mon 23 Jul 2012

Andy Velebil wrote:
JacobH wrote:Can you remember when this was bottled?
Probably within a week or so. Though that is just a guess as it's only bottled as needed/requested at the Quinta (the casks are stored at the Quinta and not in Gaia).
+1

I loved this Colheita when we had it on the 2010 Harvest Tour. It had a nose of caramel, vanilla, brown sugar, hazelnut, and some perfumed alcohol. The palate had brilliant balance and was luscious, silky, and very rich. The acidity was great and was what kept it all in balance.

Hard to believe that 2 extra years in wood could make that big of a difference to the perception of the acidity, but that's what it sounds like is missing from this TN of Alex's.
Glenn Elliott

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15015
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: 1992 Vesuvio Reserve colheita

Post by DRT » 22:39 Mon 23 Jul 2012

Glenn E. wrote:Hard to believe that 2 extra years in wood could make that big of a difference to the perception of the acidity, but that's what it sounds like is missing from this TN of Alex's.
I think it is worth bearing in mind that this is not a finished wine. These bottles that we have tasted have been drawn directly from cask at various times, sometimes served immediately, sometimes stored in a fridge and opened, sometimes opened and then stored in a fridge, sometimes not. I think it is very difficult to compare notes on this wine without knowing all the parameters. Perhaps we should just enjoy the pleasure of having been lucky enough to have tasted it and not worry too much about a score ;-)
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

Andy Velebil
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2475
Joined: 22:16 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles, Ca USA
Contact:

1992 Vesuvio Reserve colheita

Post by Andy Velebil » 22:53 Mon 23 Jul 2012

Glenn E. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:
JacobH wrote:Can you remember when this was bottled?
Probably within a week or so. Though that is just a guess as it's only bottled as needed/requested at the Quinta (the casks are stored at the Quinta and not in Gaia).
+1

I loved this Colheita when we had it on the 2010 Harvest Tour. It had a nose of caramel, vanilla, brown sugar, hazelnut, and some perfumed alcohol. The palate had brilliant balance and was luscious, silky, and very rich. The acidity was great and was what kept it all in balance.

Hard to believe that 2 extra years in wood could make that big of a difference to the perception of the acidity, but that's what it sounds like is missing from this TN of Alex's.
I'll have to check my notes but I thought we had the 1991 in 2010??

Post Reply