Software that makes placemats

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Software that makes placemats

Post by jdaw1 »

The author of [url=http://www.jdawiseman.com/papers/placemat/placemat.html#version_history]the manual[/url] wrote:+CircletextsSameFontSizeIfRadiiShrunkToBeSame. The need for a feature like this had been on the placemat software’s to-do list since 2007.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=52756#p52756]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=52754#p52754]Here[/url] benread wrote:Is The Bung Hole a confirmed venue or simply the default parameter now in the placemat software?!
It is the default of the placemat software’s main user but not of the software itself.

Though it’s not a bad idea. Why not write ‟The Bung Hole” rather than ‟London”?
Appropriate values also added to the default of ExternalLinks.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The author of [url=http://www.jdawiseman.com/papers/placemat/placemat.html#headers_footers]the manual[/url] wrote:Very rarely one might want the centre heading non-centred (e.g.). This can be controlled with HeaderFooterCenterRelativeX, which is the centre of the HeaderCenterText, 0 being at the left margin, 1 being at the right, and 0.5 in the centre.
Also see the organisation thread for the tasting of a smattering of Graham.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The following quotations come from the parameters for the Smattering of Graham and Malvedos tasting.

Code: Select all

/HeaderFooterCenterRelativeX {TypeOfPagesBeingRendered /Glasses eq {GlassPositions SheetNum get 6 get 0 get MgnL sub PageWidth MgnL MgnR add sub div} {0.5} ifelse} def
Image Image
Also the position of centre header needed to be changed, for which the code had been altered to add the parameter HeaderFooterCenterRelativeX. This was then assigned to some 132 characters of code, the complication of which might suggest that the form of this parameter was not optimally chosen.
The default value for HeaderFooterCenterRelativeX is plain ‟0.5”, as simple as can be. But the first time this parameter was used the value had to be changed to something computed from something deep in an array. Is that acceptable? Is this a question for the Taylor 1977 committee?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Would it be possible to print the left have portion of GM76 and G91 on the left hand sheet so that when the sheets are overlapped there is continuity in the spacing of the circles?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:Would it be possible to print the left have portion of GM76 and G91 on the left hand sheet so that when the sheets are overlapped there is continuity in the spacing of the circles?
I thought about that, and it seems to me that would require a major reworking of the software.

What might perhaps be possible would be to print it to a custom paper size (about twice A3), and have a post-process to cut the print job into pieces.

But even if that could be done, in practice would the paper be positioned sufficiently accurately? And stay so positioned? Methinks not. And a similar question could be asked again with the answer presumed to be negative about the accuracy of the trimming of the margin area on which a printer won’t print.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:Would it be possible to print the left have portion of GM76 and G91 on the left hand sheet so that when the sheets are overlapped there is continuity in the spacing of the circles?
I thought about that, and it seems to me that would require a major reworking of the software.

What might perhaps be possible would be to print it to a custom paper size (about twice A3), and have a post-process to cut the print job into pieces.

But even if that could be done, in practice would the paper be positioned sufficiently accurately? And stay so positioned? Methinks not. And a similar question could be asked again with the answer presumed to be negative about the accuracy of the trimming of the margin area on which a printer won’t print.
Alternatively, just using A3, you could print the left-hand sheet as is, and print a right-hand sheet which included the right-hand 5 columns (i.e. from 75/90 inclusive). Then, any vertical slice on the right-hand sheet through 63/83 would create a page which would overlap directly onto the left page to provide the continuous image, without onerous precision on the cutting.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:Alternatively, just using A3, you could print the left-hand sheet as is, and print a right-hand sheet which included the right-hand 5 columns (i.e. from 75/90 inclusive). Then, any vertical slice on the right-hand sheet through 63/83 would create a page which would overlap directly onto the left page to provide the continuous image, without onerous precision on the cutting.
That was completely obvious, but not quite so completely obvious that I thought of it. An excellent solution to the cutting problem. (Even if not quite to the precision-positioning problem.)

And the only change in the code needed, though not even needed in this case, would be in the internal variable TitleAboveBelowOverRandomSeeds, which would need to change such that the same item of Circlearrays/Titles/Belowtitles/etc in multiple locations would have the same ‘random’ positions of stars of flowers. Easily done. (Edit: done.)
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

There is the side-effect that it causes there to be two pre-pour sheets for the overlapping circles. The obvious and easy solution would be to have an extra boolean parameter, PrePourRemoveDuplicatesAndSortByWithinTitles (having the obvious interaction with PrePourReverseOrder), and StickyLabelsRemoveDuplicatesAndSortByWithinTitles.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

What proportion of people own magnum decanters?

Not I, and therefore i vote for a fancy bit of code that produces 2 decanter labels whenever the word "magnum" appears in titles, subtitles or overtitles etc.!

But i might look out for a magnum decanter also (now that i own 7 double magnums of port and quite a few more of wine, perhaps also a double magnum decanter...)
Rob C.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

RAYC wrote:What proportion of people own magnum decanters?
Everybody who is anybody, surely?
RAYC wrote:Not I
Oh. :-(
RAYC wrote:But i might look out for a magnum decanter also (now that i own 7 double magnums of port and quite a few more of wine, !)
Splendid.
RAYC wrote:perhaps also a double magnum decanter...
No: too heavy to use. A lot of wrist strength is needed to have the required careful control. Indeed, some have said the same of even a magnum decanter.
RAYC wrote:therefore i vote for a fancy bit of code that produces 2 decanter labels whenever the word "magnum" appears in titles, subtitles or overtitles etc.!
/DecanterLabelsNumCopies 0 def” admits the possibility of ‟2”. It doesn’t auto-detect the word ‟Magnum”, but can be set easily enough by hand.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

jdaw1 wrote:
RAYC wrote:therefore i vote for a fancy bit of code that produces 2 decanter labels whenever the word "magnum" appears in titles, subtitles or overtitles etc.!
/DecanterLabelsNumCopies 0 def” admits the possibility of ‟2”. It doesn’t auto-detect the word ‟Magnum”, but can be set easily enough by hand.
thank you - the auto-detect feature was slightly tongue-in-cheek!
Rob C.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1 wrote:
PhilW wrote:Alternatively, just using A3, you could print the left-hand sheet as is, and print a right-hand sheet which included the right-hand 5 columns (i.e. from 75/90 inclusive). Then, any vertical slice on the right-hand sheet through 63/83 would create a page which would overlap directly onto the left page to provide the continuous image, without onerous precision on the cutting.
That was completely obvious, but not quite so completely obvious that I thought of it. An excellent solution to the cutting problem. (Even if not quite to the precision-positioning problem.)
It worked well:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The author of [url=http://www.jdawiseman.com/papers/placemat/placemat.html#prepour]the manual[/url] wrote:There can, rarely, be an additional complication. If a placemat is made from several A3 placemats, guillotined and overlapped !, then the same glass will appear on two sheets. But it should not have twice as many pre-pour sheets. This technicality is fixed with PrePourRemoveDuplicatesByWithinTitles, which, if true, removes duplicates, equivalence being determined by GlassesOnSheets having the same value of WithinTitles. The guillotine-and-overlap trick also messes with the order of the pre-pour sheets, sometimes fixable with PrePourSortByWithinTitles.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
The author of [url=http://www.jdawiseman.com/papers/placemat/placemat.html#prepour]the manual[/url] wrote:There can, rarely, be an additional complication. If a placemat is made from several A3 placemats, guillotined and overlapped !, then the same glass will appear on two sheets. But it should not have twice as many pre-pour sheets. This technicality is fixed with PrePourRemoveDuplicatesByWithinTitles, which, if true, removes duplicates, equivalence being determined by GlassesOnSheets having the same value of WithinTitles. The guillotine-and-overlap trick also messes with the order of the pre-pour sheets, sometimes fixable with PrePourSortByWithinTitles.
In summary: ask JDAW to produce the placemats when things get complicated.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:In summary: ask JDAW to produce the placemats when things get complicated.
The new better behaviour is on by default, so you can do it.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

At the Smattering of Graham and Malvedos, the consensus was that for the glasses that had to be lifted out, so those not at the edge, the radius should not be any smaller.
Radius = 120.2 pt   ⇒   diameter ≈ 3.34″ ≈ 84.8 mm.

For comparison, five or six glasses on A4 (with 30pt margins all round) have a radius of 133.978, so just over 11% more.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
In summary: ask JDAW to produce the placemats when things get complicated.
Perhaps a simplification (in documentation) might be helpful; e.g. "For some layouts, it may be desirable for a specific bottle to appear on more than one glasses sheet (e.g. when using overlapping sheets). To avoid additional consequent duplication on subsequent sheets, define
PrePourRemoveDuplicatesByWithinTitles as true." Provided the duplication does not also occur on the tasting notes sheets, I don't think anyone would worry about the different pre-pour sheet order.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Documentation will be simplified thank you.

Which glasses are on which TN sheets is controleld by GlassesOnTastingNotePages. If the glasses are on A3, so sixteen-ish per page, then GlassesOnTastingNotePages shouldn’t be at its default value of equalling GlassesOnSheets. So the need to change the TNs is unaffected by the new functionality.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

By request of DRT, yesterday evening, TastingNotesCirclesBehindTopX and TastingNotesCirclesBehindBottomX added. Documentation not yet updated, but see the eight TN sheets in the draft of the placemats for the March 2013 Taylor vertical. Comments welcomed.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Documentation updated with PhilW’s suggestion, and with new feature suggested by DRT.
jdaw1 wrote:see the eight TN sheets in the draft of the placemats for the March 2013 Taylor vertical. Comments welcomed.
Comments still welcomed.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Documentation updated with PhilW’s suggestion, and with new feature suggested by DRT.
jdaw1 wrote:see the eight TN sheets in the draft of the placemats for the March 2013 Taylor vertical. Comments welcomed.
Comments still welcomed.
My preference is for the layout of circles shown on the page starting at 1908, albeit that the positioning of the circles within the horizontal separator a is not quite perfect.
Ernest H. Cockburn
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

I like the page starting 1942 but don't quite understand why it can't be spaced horizontally across the entire page (or at least centred), notwithstanding that the circles would not "touch".
Rob C.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

RAYC wrote:I ! don't quite understand why it can't be spaced horizontally across the entire page (or at least centred), notwithstanding that the circles would not "touch".
Fitting circles tightly is part of the mojo of the whole software. I could add a boolean TastingNotesCirclesBehindFitAndCentreInRow, but don’t like it.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1 wrote:Fitting circles tightly is part of the mojo of the whole software. I could add a boolean TastingNotesCirclesBehindFitAndCentreInRow, but don’t like it.
Added. On the usual five-glass A4 example, this being true reduces the radius of the circles on the TN sheets from 87.7071 to 77.7381. Equivalently, setting TastingNotesCirclesBehindFitAndCentreInRow to false would increase the area of these circles by +27.3%.

The following come from the draft of the placemats for the March 2013 Taylor vertical (thread). The first image is old-style, with /TastingNotesCirclesBehindFitAndCentreInRow false def.
The next eight images are new-style, with /TastingNotesCirclesBehindFitAndCentreInRow true def.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
(The exact selection of vintages has not yet been finalised. Some others might be added; perhaps a few of these will prove to be unavailable.)