NV Niepoort Crusted 2011

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

NV Niepoort Crusted 2011

Post by jdaw1 »

Just three of us, CPR, THRA and JDAW, met in the Green Room of The Boot & Flogger for a tasting with the theme ‘Blind with a clue’.

Links:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 2011 Niepoort Crusted

Post by jdaw1 »

2011 Niepoort Crusted, which CPR said came from the ’07 and ’08 harvests. Dark dark red-purple, 100% opaque. Very young and big-fruited. A great early- and late-palate. But a lightness mid-palate made we wonder about crusted. Having spoken about crusted for a few minutes, the clue — “Intrigued by Alex’s tasting note of it” — made me recall the Old Vines Six Grapes. Mid-led by the clue: I should have stuck with Crusted.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: 2011 Niepoort Crusted

Post by djewesbury »

Having just mentioned your previous good character, I am appalled to see this sloppy work handed in for your Tasting Note homework. Do it again, and this time read your own work.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
domfwc
Cruz Ruby

Re: NV Niepoort Crusted 2011

Post by domfwc »

Hi,

Long time lurker quite often reading this board. Just registered to post! Nice looking tasting.

Reference the Niepoort Crusted 2011, I was at a tasting with winemaker Nick Delaforce last year. It is, indeed, a blend of the 2007 and 2008, from my notes 80% from the 2008 vintage. I can't find my tasting notes but I seem to recall preferring the previous bottling which was a 2003 / 2005 blend. It may have just been the extra age of that first bottling.

Cheers,

Dominic
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: NV Niepoort Crusted 2011

Post by LGTrotter »

domfwc wrote:Reference the Niepoort Crusted 2011, I was at a tasting with winemaker Nick Delaforce last year. It is, indeed, a blend of the 2007 and 2008, from my notes 80% from the 2008 vintage. I can't find my tasting notes but I seem to recall preferring the previous bottling which was a 2003 / 2005 blend. It may have just been the extra age of that first bottling.
I often think that I need to keep crusted port longer than I do. I bought heaps of Dow 97 crusted and managed to keep a few, they are lovely now and will keep a bit I think. But when I pay a tenner a bottle for port I inevitably neck them with gay abandon so they never seem to last.

Interesting to hear of the vintages and proportions used in crusted, not something I have heard before, so thank you for posting. Lurk no longer.