1938 Hooper

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 1938 Hooper

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Hooper’s Vintage Port

A fine old vintage port has always been considered one of the true aristocrats of the wine world. Generally bottled after two years in the wood, it completes its slow maturation in the bottle. Perhaps the greatest collection that exists anywhere in Europe can be found in the venerable cellars of Richard Hooper & Sons in Oporto. From this remarkable Port treasury, after being carefully tasted just before shipping, comes this bottle.

As long ago as 1912, the firm of Hooper’s were appointed purveyors to the British House of Lords no mean accomplishment in a country which boasts of the most discriminating Port drinkers in the world.

In the process of long-aging in the bottle, a genuine vintage Port necessarily ‟throws a crust” in the form of a sediment. If you wish to serve the wine clear, let the bottle stand upright for a while, allowing the sediment to fall to the bottom. Then pour carefully to enjoy the full, remarkable flavour.

From a Rare Vintage Port Collection available at
Sherry Wine and Spirits Co., Inc.
Imported by Vineyard Importing Co., New York, N.Y.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Decanted 4¾pm.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Look: Very light for a VP, almost Tawny. (Between 10-yr old and 20-yr old in look.) Bright and clear in the glass. My second favorite color in the glass.

Nose: "Same as '42 only weaker."

Taste: Very smooth mouth feel. Marzipan, fades almost to vanilla. Soft, ripe raspberry.

Finish: Typical green apples and grape stem, but isn't very long.

This is the bottle I adopted from Julian. Coincidentally it is also my Dad's birth year, so I took the bottle home as a souvenier. Alex also provided me with a small sample bottle which we filled so that I can take it to my Dad over Thanksgiving. Thanks! :D
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Clear brown like the ’42, but paler, with less nose and less distinct stuff going on in the nose. Very very silky mouthfeel, just like a Ferreira ’75, with some spirit and great length. Somewhat post-mature, but an entirely pleasant drink nonetheless.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

[strike]That was once at the NY Wine Warehouse, eh? That place gets more interesting every time I turn around.[strike]
strike that, wine warehouse isn't warehouse wines.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Bought at auction. I can check details if you really care.