1873 Schofield

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: 1873 Schofield

Post by Glenn E. »

Look: Faintly cloudy, medium tawny color. Lighting was poor, so nothing more specific.

Nose: Soft sugars, and after a time sitting in the glass some smoke was also noticeable. Faintly madeira-like to me.

Taste: Gone, some sour, not good. Very dry. Somewhat watery. Almost peaty like a scotch. To me it was clearly past its prime, and I went to considerable effort to find some way to describe it in a non-negative manner. It was certainly better if tasted on its own (not following another Port), but even then could at best be described as merely drinkable (barely) or somewhat fair. Following another Port it was foul and awful.

This is now the oldest port I have ever tried!
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

1873 Schofield: cloudy mid-brown, with some red. Very spirity on the nose. To taste rough, and all hot spirit. Undrinkable. Jay, whose bottle it was, added later that it was ‟getting worse”.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Very dry and reminded me of a peaty scotch. Very little sweetness and very spirity. It was bad =) but very interesting heh =)
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz