How goes the vintage?

Anything to do with Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

How goes the vintage?

Post by uncle tom »

We are getting to the point where climatic factors have an increasing impact on this year's vintage.

The immediate five day forecast for northern Portugal looks reasonably benign, with a little rain and plenty of sun - but relatively cool for this time of year.

Anyone know how the season has progressed to date? I've not heard of any hail storms this year..!

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Frederick Blais »

I haven't got much information to date, but I was told by a owner in the Douro that so far, they are late. They had poor weather during the spring and no heat wave have been seen yet.

I was looking trough meteo this week too and it is unsually cool in the Douro for this time of the year. Normally veraison happens during the end of July, early August, it will be a good indicator on how late they are when veraison will happen.

I'll try to know more and post it here.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

The forecast remains sunny and a little warmer (up from 22 to 26C) this weekend - but another cold front may hit the region on Tuesday.

It looks as though the southerly jet stream that is pulling the weather systems south and giving England a drenching this summer is also drawing cooler and less settled weather into Iberia.

A late vintage is not necessarily a poor one, but the autumnal weather systems start rolling in after the equinox, increasing the risk of a washout..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

A few days ago it looked as though the change in month would bring a change in weather, with a big fat high pressure system coming across the Atlantic.

That's now falling apart, and another cold front looks likely this weekend.

Whilst it's been reasonably sunny in the Douro, the temperatures remain firmly stuck in the 20's...

- does that matter?? - I'm not sure...

- Any more word from the ground Fred?

Tom
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

Some are out on vacation at the moment. I did not get a reply from last week. I'll try with another source today. I'm getting worried with my harvest trip too.

But low temperature is not a big problem. Well it can. But if the rain does not fall too heavily in October, the harvest can sometimes be completed up to late October like in 2005. The problem could be with sugar level. Good for dry wines but very bad for ports.
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

I've got some info. I'm chatting with a friend in Portugal at the moment. Yes my job keeps me very busy :lol:
Yes there was some rain but it was good because the winter was dry. Things looks good for the time being, we expect it continue as the weather forecasts a medium hot month of August... so far everybody is happy
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Extract from an old vintage report by Amyas Warre (published by Mayson)

"The summer was conspicuous for low temperatures, and although just before and during vintage warmer weather prevailed, the grapes have never ripened properly"

The year?

.. 1931

- Fingers crossed :P

Tom
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

:lol: It is always fun to read those old forcasts of vintages and then see how things turn out in the long run, thanks for a nice laugh this morning Tom 88)
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Do you think Christian Seely would sell us 20 cases of Nacional 2007 before it's picked off the vines :wink:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek T. wrote:Do you think Christian Seely would sell us 20 cases of Nacional 2007 before it's picked off the vines :wink:

Derek
Didnt you already bring some of those grapes home....and some stemware :P
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Who? Me? :roll:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek T. wrote:Who? Me? :roll:
:lol: 88)
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

According to infoportwine, the harvest is looking small - 30% down on '06

As they note, small harvests are often very good ones.

Still no great heatwave in the Douro, but plenty of sunshine.

- Any word on veraison Fred?

Tom
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Wall to wall sunshine continues, with no sign of a break, but temperatures remain sub 30.

Any news from the ground?

Tom
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

After a day or two of damp misty weather, steady, fine dry weather is forecast for the next few days. (for Vila Real - nearest location on the BBC weather site)

But the temperatures remain very cool - typically around the 25C level.

History gives examples of cool summers with late harvests coming up trumps, but the risk of autumnal weather systems closing in before the grapes are ripe must be a big concern now.

Tom
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

For the last ten days the weather has been dry and sunny, but the temperature has remained in the mid twenties - unusually cool for the Douro in August.

Today there is some rain, with a little more forecast tomorrow. For Tuesday and Wednesday the forecast is for overcast skies and mist, with the temperature struggling to reach 20C...

The rain is probably beneficial, but the cool damp misty weather sounds like a recipe for mildew.

A month ago, Fred reported that the season was running late, since when the weather has done nothing to make up for lost time.

- Looks like the harvest will be very late this year...

Tom
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

thank you for this running commentary

Post by jdaw1 »

Tom, Frederick: thank you for this running commentary. Very interesting.
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

uncle tom wrote:
A month ago, Fred reported that the season was running late, since when the weather has done nothing to make up for lost time.

Tom
I sent an email recently to 3 good sources with a few questions about port and harvest season and none replied on the latter :cry:

I'll try to know more this week maybe or next week I'll be your Douro correspondant if I can find an Internet connection :wink:
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Fred - if you can give us a blow-by-blow account from the front line, that would be excellent.

Tom
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

I'll try, I'll try! It will only depends on how often I can get a connection and for how long!
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Much of the cold damp murky weather forecast for this week seems to have failed to materialise - and the forecast for the weekend is at last up to 30C.

Hopefully Fred will be able to enlighten us soon from the front line..

Tom
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

An update in infoportwine notes that expectations of a smaller crop than last year are easing, with some vineyards predicting a similar volume.

The piece ends with:

"All reports mentioned that it has been a difficult growing season with many fungus diseases like mildew and oidium"

This is not terribly encouraging. The only good news is that the daytime temperature has finally broken through the 30C level.

Tom
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I received a press release today with harvest forecasts for the whole of Portugal. Sandra Tavares gives a forecast for the Douro.
Douro
Sandra Tavares da Silva â€‟ Pintas / Quinta do Vale D. Maria
“There is an evident decrease of production. The grapes maturation is delayed and we need that the climate stays stable and warm for the next 2 weeks in order to have a good phoenolic maturation. For the producers which did the correct treatments for mildew, the grapes show a very good sanitary condition. Regarding the quality of this vintage, it seems that it will be very good to excellent, with balanced productions.†
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Interesting comments from the field.

One might expect the producer of 'vintage every year' port to be a little bullish though, and the bit about mildew smacks of a smug swipe at the competition..!

Still, it looks as though all is not lost - yet - at least!

~~~

If you watch the progress of hurricanes in the gulf, you can sometimes get an early indication of what is likely to happen over Iberia a week or more ahead.

Hurricane Dean got swallowed and deflated by the American landmass, and as Felix is running well south, it may well do the same.

Sometimes though, they sweep around the US coast, without going far inland, and head back across the Atlantic - drenching european vineyards and spoiling the vintage...

Tom
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

So far the forecast for the next 10 day is only rain for Sunday or Monday depending on the region you'll be in the Douro. The weather will flirt with 30 celcius and go down around 25 after the rain.

It is a bit odd that the harvest is later this year, last year it was earlier... its hard to plan a trip ahead :cry: On the good side, it should give me more time to talk with producers.