1970 Croft

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1970 Croft

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

En magnum. Solid red colour, but lighter than the Noval shown alongside. Slightly flat on the nose, what shows is floral and slightly orangey. Slightly woody impact that disappeared with more time in the glass and some very noticeable rose perfume flavours. Bubble gum aftertaste, sweet and a
little unbalanced but this opens into a long and balanced finish. Overall this wine lacks a little balance on the palate and has a strangely soapy tone to the fruit and has a lack of acidity to be a great port. 90/100. Drunk after 24 hours decanting.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Re: 1970 Croft

Post by Chris Doty »

(from a magnum) Again, curiously, hard for me to get much on the nose. A summer tasting issue? Less rich than the Dow or the Noval, but this had some pleasant things going for it. A little nutmeg/gingerbread/x-mas component throughout. Not bad at all, but a little thinner than I'd like in my ports. 87 points

After it was revealed that this was the croft, suddenly it became possible only to smell orange fruits.