The BFT, London, 2011

What happened?
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

The BFT, London, 2011

Post by JacobH »

Several of us attended the 2011 Big Fortified Tasting in Glaziers [sic] Hall, London, on the 6th April.

If I am counting correctly, 26 shippers were represented, most of whom had brought their most recent Vintage Ports (mostly 2008s and 2007), LBVs and recently released colheitas and tawnies. There were also quite a few 2009 cask samples on show: a very exciting prospect. The following should link to most of the tasting notes (thanks to jdaw1 for original links):
People with TNs to ports not listed here should create a new TN thread for each, and post a link thereto in this thread. One of the admins will then splice that link into this list.

Although I have been to quite a few general tastings like this, this was the first time I’ve been to one devoted exclusively to fortified wines and with such a large selection of Port producers present. It really was a delight, although I found it impossible to try all the Ports available and so concentrated on the red ones.

My overall impression is that there will be a number of 2009s produced, but nowhere close to a full declaration and there will be many interesting 2008 v 2009 tastings to try in the future. There seems to be a bit of uncertainty with the LBV style with many producers seeming unable to decide whether they should make Portuguese-style LBV which is, literally a late-bottled vintage port, or the filtered, drink-now style of the British houses.

The house that really stood out for me was Quinta da Romaneira: all of their products were excellent (and, reassuringly, my tasting note for the 2007 seems to match the one I wrote two years ago quite closely!) and I would whole-heartedly recommend them all. I also enjoyed Quinta do Infantado’s offerings, especially the 2007 LBV, not least because they are trying to do something different from other shippers and seem to do it rather well. However, their light, low-tannic, dryish style of Port may not appeal to all.

Of the 2009s, I would certainly consider stocking up on the Pintas, simply because its flavours were mad: passion-fruit everywhere and other tropic fruits. Back to the mainstream of Ports, I think the Cockburn Quinta dos Canais was fabulous, but, regrettably, it seems that it will not be generally released. The Vesuvio, made out of an unusual blend with 24% Sousão and should be excellent, too (and a bit easier to get hold of).

The wine of the tasting, for me, though, was the 1977 Niepoort Garrafeira. Simply fantastic, Port which I would love to try again in a better environment.

I should apologise for the quality of the tasting-notes: I always find it quite difficult to take detailed notes in such circumstances, so I usually end up writing brief sketches. This is also not quite a complete list. Towards the end my nose rather collapsed with everything appearing very hot so I need to go through those which will follow.
Last edited by JacobH on 01:08 Fri 06 May 2011, edited 9 times in total.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: The BFT, London, 2011

Post by jdaw1 »

[The links formerly in this post since copied to, and expanded in, the first post.]

People with TNs to ports not listed here should create a new TN thread for each, and post a link thereto in this thread. One of the admins will then splice that link into this list.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Looks like a fun tasting. The Warre 2009, is that a Cavadinha? Otherwise it would be a curious (and interesting) choice of SFE to declare only SQ's except for Warre.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

RonnieRoots wrote:Looks like a fun tasting. The Warre 2009, is that a Cavadinha? Otherwise it would be a curious (and interesting) choice of SFE to declare only SQ's except for Warre.
According to those on the stall it is a commemorative bottling so will be a full declaration but on a limited release. (I presume they could extract the very best grapes from Cavandinha to produce a small amount of VP-quality wine).
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Apparently Warre himself fought in a Battle of Oporto in 1809 (first, second), the bicentenary of which is thus commemorated.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

My TNs now entered. Hence:
jdaw1 wrote:People with TNs to ports not listed here should create a new TN thread for each, and post a link thereto in this thread. One of the admins will then splice that link into this list.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

jdaw1 wrote:My TNs now entered. Hence:
jdaw1 wrote:People with TNs to ports not listed here should create a new TN thread for each, and post a link thereto in this thread. One of the admins will then splice that link into this list.
I've put my tasting notes in the relevant threads and updated the list which is now in the top post. Perhaps the second post in this thread could be deleted and admins could amend the top post as necessary?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Last edited by Alex Bridgeman on 21:08 Sun 15 May 2011, edited 6 times in total.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

I’ve added, and will continue to add, the Ports to the top post. If you can let me know when you have finished adding non-Port ports, I’ll dig out my tasting-note book to find the right tables for them.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

I’m enjoying reading AHB’s and JDAW’s tasting notes for this event, since mostly we tasted separately so most of the tasting notes were written independently. It is therefore reassuring to read things like:
Quinta do Infantado 2004 VP
JacobH wrote:Lovely spicy aftertaste.
AHB wrote:Dry aftertaste and a spicy finish full of black jelly babies.
And somewhat less reassuring to read things like:
Quinta do Noval 2008
jdaw1 wrote:Massively tannic, with acidity also obvious. Currently undrinkable.
JacobH wrote:some fruit and soft round tannins supporting them
! :oops:
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

All my notes from the BFT are now posted.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.