Mz Vertical - 75 years of Martinez - London, 26 Nov 2014

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
PhilW
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2267
Joined: 14:22 Wed 15 Dec 2010
Location: Near Cambridge, UK

Mz Vertical - 75 years of Martinez - London, 26 Nov 2014

Post by PhilW » 16:18 Thu 30 Jan 2014

Date: 26th Nov 2014
Time: 18:30
Location: Davy's Woolgate Bar and Brasserie
Vintages: 1922, 1927, 1934, 1948, 1955, 1958, 1960, 1963, 1967, 1970, 1973 (crusted), 1975, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1989 (crusted), 1994, 1997

Places will be allocated on a first-come first-served basis; please reply below. I intend that we will invite one industry guest, whose costs will be covered by the attendees. Cost will be £240 per person including all port, food, corkage etc.

Participants:
  1. PW
  2. JDAW
  3. WPS
  4. RAYC
  5. AHB
  6. THRA
  7. CMAG
  8. AP
  9. DJ
  10. CPR
  11. MPM
  12. IDJ
  13. forest26
  14. (spare)
Reserves:
  • -none-
Last edited by PhilW on 11:43 Fri 21 Nov 2014, edited 23 times in total.

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19293
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Martinez Vertical - London, Nov 2014

Post by jdaw1 » 16:18 Thu 30 Jan 2014

Yes please.

(And I have done the obvious reporting.)

User avatar
Axel P
Niepoort 1977
Posts: 1636
Joined: 08:09 Wed 12 Sep 2007
Location: Langenfeld, near Cologne, Germany
Contact:

Re: Martinez Vertical - London, Nov 2014

Post by Axel P » 16:43 Thu 30 Jan 2014

Yes, please. Do count me in.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com

User avatar
WS1
Graham’s Malvedos 1996
Posts: 881
Joined: 23:08 Wed 04 Feb 2009
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Martinez Vertical - London, Nov 2014

Post by WS1 » 17:03 Thu 30 Jan 2014

Thanks that I am already on the list :wink:

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8151
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Martinez Vertical - London, Nov 2014

Post by djewesbury » 17:28 Thu 30 Jan 2014

Yes please.. oh hold on.. was this table full before the thread was started..?
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

PhilW
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2267
Joined: 14:22 Wed 15 Dec 2010
Location: Near Cambridge, UK

Re: Martinez Vertical - London, Nov 2014

Post by PhilW » 17:39 Thu 30 Jan 2014

djewesbury wrote:Yes please.. oh hold on.. was this table full before the thread was started..?
Nope, not full yet. Some initial discussion was had with a few individuals to see if we could source sufficient range of bottles for the event - those have been included for obvious reasons; others replied by PM and email.

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8151
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Martinez Vertical - London, Nov 2014

Post by djewesbury » 17:40 Thu 30 Jan 2014

Yes please.
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

PhilW
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2267
Joined: 14:22 Wed 15 Dec 2010
Location: Near Cambridge, UK

Re: Martinez Vertical - London, Nov 2014

Post by PhilW » 17:55 Thu 30 Jan 2014

Nov 10th now eliminated due to contributors' unavailability at that time; tasting will therefore be the night before BBR port walk, estimated as Nov 26th (with BBR port walk on Nov 27th)
Last edited by PhilW on 19:35 Thu 30 Jan 2014, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8151
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Martinez Vertical - London, Nov 2014

Post by djewesbury » 18:02 Thu 30 Jan 2014

PhilW wrote:contributors unavailability
Are you doing this on purpose? Or just to give JDAW something to do?
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

User avatar
WS1
Graham’s Malvedos 1996
Posts: 881
Joined: 23:08 Wed 04 Feb 2009
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Martinez Vertical - London, Nov 2014

Post by WS1 » 19:24 Thu 30 Jan 2014

djewesbury wrote:
PhilW wrote:contributors unavailability
Are you doing this on purpose? Or just to give JDAW something to do?
No; I do not thinks so since I am one of the contributors who very likely cannot attend on the 10th since likley being in Burgundy and others prefering the night before the Port walk anyway; so agreement was found.

Do you have a problem with this?

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain

PhilW
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2267
Joined: 14:22 Wed 15 Dec 2010
Location: Near Cambridge, UK

Re: Martinez Vertical - London, Nov 2014

Post by PhilW » 19:35 Thu 30 Jan 2014

WS1 wrote:
djewesbury wrote:
PhilW wrote:contributors unavailability
Are you doing this on purpose? Or just to give JDAW something to do?
No; I do not thinks so since I am one of the contributors who very likely cannot attend on the 10th since likley being in Burgundy and others prefering the night before the Port walk anyway; so agreement was found.

Do you have a problem with this?

regards

WS1
It wasn't just you Wolfgang - but I think Daniel is pointing out my missing apostrophe, rather than having problems with the organisation.

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8151
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Martinez Vertical - London, Nov 2014

Post by djewesbury » 19:36 Thu 30 Jan 2014

PhilW wrote:
WS1 wrote:
djewesbury wrote:
PhilW wrote:contributors unavailability
Are you doing this on purpose? Or just to give JDAW something to do?
No; I do not thinks so since I am one of the contributors who very likely cannot attend on the 10th since likley being in Burgundy and others prefering the night before the Port walk anyway; so agreement was found.

Do you have a problem with this?

regards

WS1
It wasn't just you Wolfgang - but I think Daniel is pointing out my missing apostrophe, rather than having problems with the organisation.
Yes sorry - it was the apostrophe!
Oops.
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

User avatar
WS1
Graham’s Malvedos 1996
Posts: 881
Joined: 23:08 Wed 04 Feb 2009
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Martinez Vertical - London, Nov 2014

Post by WS1 » 19:40 Thu 30 Jan 2014

djewesbury wrote:
PhilW wrote:
WS1 wrote:
djewesbury wrote:
PhilW wrote:contributors unavailability
Are you doing this on purpose? Or just to give JDAW something to do?
No; I do not thinks so since I am one of the contributors who very likely cannot attend on the 10th since likley being in Burgundy and others prefering the night before the Port walk anyway; so agreement was found.

Do you have a problem with this?

regards

WS1
It wasn't just you Wolfgang - but I think Daniel is pointing out my missing apostrophe, rather than having problems with the organisation.
Yes sorry - it was the apostrophe!
Oops.
:lol: Clearly I missed this subtlety being not a native English speaker!
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8151
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Martinez Vertical - London, Nov 2014

Post by djewesbury » 20:04 Thu 30 Jan 2014

WS1 wrote:
djewesbury wrote:
PhilW wrote:
WS1 wrote:
djewesbury wrote:
PhilW wrote:contributors unavailability
Are you doing this on purpose? Or just to give JDAW something to do?
No; I do not thinks so since I am one of the contributors who very likely cannot attend on the 10th since likley being in Burgundy and others prefering the night before the Port walk anyway; so agreement was found.

Do you have a problem with this?

regards

WS1
It wasn't just you Wolfgang - but I think Daniel is pointing out my missing apostrophe, rather than having problems with the organisation.
Yes sorry - it was the apostrophe!
Oops.
:lol: Clearly I missed this subtlety being not a native English speaker!
We nearly had an international incident - I'll disarm the cruise missiles!
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

CPR 1
Quinta do Noval LBV
Posts: 235
Joined: 16:18 Mon 22 Apr 2013

Re: Martinez Vertical - London, Nov 2014

Post by CPR 1 » 21:38 Thu 30 Jan 2014

Yes please

User avatar
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2060
Joined: 23:50 Tue 04 May 2010
Location: London

Re: Martinez Vertical - London, Nov 2014

Post by RAYC » 21:56 Thu 30 Jan 2014

I will keep an eye on the final date that gets decided before formally confirming if that's ok - i am unlikely to do both this event and BBR port walk on consecutive nights (have found i rarely enjoy the second event).
Rob C.

User avatar
flash_uk
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2041
Joined: 20:02 Thu 13 Feb 2014
Location: London

Re: Martinez Vertical - London, Nov 2014

Post by flash_uk » 18:13 Sun 06 Apr 2014

Would very much like to join this one if possible please.

PhilW
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2267
Joined: 14:22 Wed 15 Dec 2010
Location: Near Cambridge, UK

Re: Martinez Vertical - London, Nov 2014

Post by PhilW » 21:42 Sun 06 Apr 2014

flash_uk wrote:Would very much like to join this one if possible please.
No problem, you are added. Final line-up and costing just pending response from one contributor, then I will confirm with all with defined date.

PhilW
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2267
Joined: 14:22 Wed 15 Dec 2010
Location: Near Cambridge, UK

Re: Martinez Vertical - London, 26 Nov 2014

Post by PhilW » 09:26 Sun 11 May 2014

This tasting is now confirmed for 26th Nov. The line-up is looking good, I am currently expecting this to be:
1922, 1927, 1934, 1948, 1955, 1958, 1960, 1963, 1967, 1970, 1973 (crusted), 1975, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1989 (crusted)
From the contributors' comments, we seem to have excellent provenance on most bottles; I will be purchasing three of the later bottles from retail as we do not have them between us (if anyone has the 75, 82 or 87 and hasn't mentioned it, then please let me know asap). The cost is confirmed at £240 including all port, food, corkage, tip. TBH function room is booked, with separate table outside for food, and I will sort decanting arrangements nearer the time.

I have reconfirmed that the date is acceptable to all people contributing bottles; If all other participants could now also please re-confirm their intention to attend now that the date, cost and line-up are defined, I will contact via PM to collect monies and mark you as confirmed on the initial post.

User avatar
flash_uk
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2041
Joined: 20:02 Thu 13 Feb 2014
Location: London

Re: Martinez Vertical - London, 26 Nov 2014

Post by flash_uk » 13:38 Sun 11 May 2014

OK for me thx. Are you missing any bottles still?

PhilW
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2267
Joined: 14:22 Wed 15 Dec 2010
Location: Near Cambridge, UK

Re: Martinez Vertical - London, 26 Nov 2014

Post by PhilW » 15:01 Sun 11 May 2014

flash_uk wrote:OK for me thx. Are you missing any bottles still?
I'm currently planning to buy '75, '82 and '87 retail, unless someone has them already and hasn't mentioned it yet.

Other known vintages within '22 to '90 which we do not have are '31, '45, '50, '53 and '78, but these were neither available from amongst ourselves, nor retail, hence not present in line-up.

User avatar
DRT
Graham’s 1948
Posts: 14882
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Martinez Vertical - London, 26 Nov 2014

Post by DRT » 15:18 Sun 11 May 2014

PhilW wrote:If all other participants could now also please re-confirm their intention to attend now that the date, cost and line-up are defined, I will contact via PM to collect monies and mark you as confirmed on the initial post.
I'm in :D
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
Axel P
Niepoort 1977
Posts: 1636
Joined: 08:09 Wed 12 Sep 2007
Location: Langenfeld, near Cologne, Germany
Contact:

Re: Martinez Vertical - London, 26 Nov 2014

Post by Axel P » 16:20 Sun 11 May 2014

Just booked the flights. Therefore please count me in.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8151
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Martinez Vertical - London, 26 Nov 2014

Post by djewesbury » 19:26 Sun 11 May 2014

Yes. I'm no longer provisional.
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

User avatar
DRT
Graham’s 1948
Posts: 14882
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Martinez Vertical - London, 26 Nov 2014

Post by DRT » 23:29 Sun 11 May 2014

djewesbury wrote:Yes. I'm no longer provisional.
Not a good idea to use the "p" word from an NI IP address :roll:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests