New Product?

Anything to do with Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

New Product?

Post by DRT »

Sainsbury's are selling Croft Unfiltered LBV 2002 at 50% off (£6.49 per bottle) with another 5% off if you buy 6 or more. I didn't know Croft made an unfiltered. Has anyone had this or seen it from previous vintages?

I bought 2 bottles (Jo was with me :roll: ) but will not be tasting it until next weekend. If anyone fancies taking one for the team, get down to your local store today and post the results ASAP so that we can clear the shelves if it turns out to be any good :wink: - it was bottled in 07 so will probably need some time in bottle to develop but at <£40 for a 6 pack it's probably worth a punt on a case or two.

AHB - since you will now be over the pond please let me know if you want any of this and I'll see if I can find some for you.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Interesting! I've always found Croft to be one of the better filtered LBV's, so I'm curious to see how their unfiltered version will be.
gonzo
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by gonzo »

Very interesting.. I will have a dabble this weekend and post my thoughts .. Thanks Derek
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Frederick Blais »

I had a croft 1992 LBV a few years ago. I don't remember if it had the "unfiltered" word on the label but I'm sure it had a driven cork.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Mayson is a bit dismissive of Croft LBV - I personally can't recall ever coming across one.

The association of driven corks with unfiltered LBV's is not a perfect one - I have examples of both unfiltered LBV with a stopper (SW82), and filtered LBV with driven corks (OBV84) in my cellar.

Re-inventing the Croft LBV as a better unfiltered wine, and launching it at Sainsbury's at a competitive price in time for Christmas, would seem a rational marketing strategy on the part of Taylor Fladgate.

Is this the only unfiltered LBV to be sold through the supermarkets without 'bottle matured' status?

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Frederick Blais »

uncle tom wrote:
Is this the only unfiltered LBV to be sold through the supermarkets without 'bottle matured' status?

Tom
As far as Canadian Market is concerned, the Symington's Warre and Smith Woodhouse are the only Unfiltered LBV that come on the shelves with bottle maturation.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Cant think of a Sainsburys near me. So I'll await the verdict with interest.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Got six last night, cost me £37, so I'm not complaining. If it's rubbish then it goes into Spag Bol.

Verdict soon
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Conky wrote:Cant think of a Sainsburys near me. So I'll await the verdict with interest.
According to the Sainsbury website store locator there is one 5.5 miles from you in Worthington Way, Wigan.

You will not find any sitting on the couch watching Sky Sports :roll:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Cant argue with that one! :D

I'll have a look.