2000 Noval Unfiltered LBV

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

2000 Noval Unfiltered LBV

Post by DRT »

I am staying in a hotel in London for 4 nights and decided to set myself the ultimate challenge.

Tonight I opened a bottle of Noval 2000 LBV and told myself that I need to make it last 4 nights :shock:

Will post notes here over the course of the week.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Derek, you lucky guy. This is an absolute fabulous wine, with which I impressed a couple of guys in St. Moritz this year. They brought a Vargellas 2001 and a Panascal 2004 and the unfiltered LBV of Noval was definitely the star of the show whilst being the cheapest of the three as well.

Im going for a Quinta de la Rosa LBV 2000 tonight. It's something different, but after all I think I'm a bit jealous.

Axel

P.S.: I don't think it will last four nights and I bet the next bottle when we meet the next time...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Axel,

You are not helping! I need encouragement and support from my fellow portheads to get through this trauma :lol:

I hope it is as good as you tell me it is. If so, I have failed before the first sip :roll:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

So you’re upset that it might be good.

Post by jdaw1 »

So you’re upset that it might be good. You can at least be pleased that you managed to avoid the trauma of the New York tasting happening the same night. Think how much worse it would be if you were forced to suffer three 1977s and three 1985s.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Thanks, Jdaw.

That's exactly the kind of support I don't need! :lol:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Derek,

don't do it. Maybe you will get gout from it or anything else. Put the bottle aside and read a book or watch TV, I mean: only read a book or watch TV without a glass in your hand. Get a glass of milk instead or Mountain Dew :cry:

Think it over: alcohol is never a saver.

Axel

P.S.: That's all the encouragement you will get!!! 88)
P.S.P.S.: At least it was a try.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

a thousand LBVs = one bottle of NN31

Post by jdaw1 »

If you don’t buy, say, a thousand LBVs, and instead buy one bottle of NN31, then:
  • it will be so much better for your liver;
  • it will be so much better for your taste buds.
So put the Noval LBV aside, have a glass of milk, and be pleased you aren’t in the gym.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Thanks. That's more like it. Putting me off the idea of drinking it all is the only way to go :wink:

Here is my first TN @ +4 Hours
Very purple and sticky in the glass. Raw nose - very young. A little heat on the nose as I take the first sip from a huge red wine glass (the only one available in the room). Mouthfeel is mid-weight. Very tannic, which seems to be hiding lots of nice black fruit. The finish mellows into a lovely fruity sweetness that makes the cheeks water and goes on and on for a long time.

At this point this is not far away from a <5 yr old VP. Very impresive but not something I would buy again to drink now. Needs years.

My challenge is looking good 88)

More tomorrow.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek, who are you kidding, it will NEVER last 4 days. I give it 2, maybe 3 tops :P :lol:

BTW, have you ever had a bottle last more than 2 days when trapped in a hotel?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

ADV wrote:BTW, have you ever had a bottle last more than 2 days when trapped in a hotel?
:oops:

I will admit to now having around 60% of the bottle left to last 3 nights. The challenge is now harder than ever.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ahh, just drink it...there must me a market nearby with some cheap ruby you can buy. Just leave a small glass in the old bottle, then refill the old bottle with said cheap ruby, and technically you'll still be drinking from the same botte :twisted:
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

No no no no no. Don't drink the rest of the bottle. It doesn't matter that you've drunk 40% of the bottle, simply top it up with tap water and then you will have a full bottle left to last you the next three days.

There, does that help.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I have come up with an ingenius plan that is much better than the suggestions from ADV and AHB.

Tonight I am going to go out to the pub with a colleague and drink some beer. I will not return to the hotel until I am at a stage where one glass of port before bed is all that I will require. This will restore the plan by leaving me with 50% of the port left with 2 nights remaining.

It's a brilliant plan and I know I can do it. :lol:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

confusion-preventing placemats[

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek,

I can only apologise. It is entirely my fault: there you were, trapped in your shyness, too timid to ask, so you hinted, you hinted ever so gently what you wanted, and I was too insensitive to notice.

I am sorry, but it is done at last: for your Noval 200 LBV tasting, confusion-preventing placemats.

Apologies again for not earlier heeding your hint.

Julian.
Last edited by jdaw1 on 00:46 Wed 31 Oct 2007, edited 1 time in total.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Ok, so what are you drinking BETWEEN the sips of Noval '00 LBV?

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: confusion-preventing placemats[

Post by DRT »

Julian,

This is fabulous. Thank you. It will now be impossible for me to mistake my glass of Noval 2000 LBV for my glass of mineral water.

I now feel more confident about succeeding in my challenge.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

uncle tom wrote:Ok, so what are you drinking BETWEEN the sips of Noval '00 LBV?

Tom
Hmmm - I wondered when someone would ask that :roll:

Last night I had 3 pints of Bitburger Pils, 1 glass of red wine and 1 bottle of Budvar around and inbetween my N00LBV.

Tonight was half a bottle of Chianti, 1 pint of Kronenbourg 1667, 1 pint of Bitburger.....and no N00LBV as of this point in the evening.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: confusion-preventing placemats

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek T. wrote:mineral water
If you tell which type of “mineral water† (what is the point?) I’ll update the mats to reflect this.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

jdaw1 wrote:If you tell which type of “mineral water† (what is the point?) I’ll update the mats to reflect this.
water of the Liffey Derek's favorite :lol:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
Derek T. wrote:mineral water
If you tell which type of “mineral water† (what is the point?) I’ll update the mats to reflect this.
The point is simple - someone places a bottle of this in my room every morning and does not add anything to the bill. A secondary point is that it comes in a 750ml glass bottle which, as I have proven a number of times, is an adequate decanting vessel 88)

The name of this over-hyped tap water is llanllyr SOURCE - please note carefull use of upper and lower case letters. It is from Wales. Which once again prompts the question (what is the point?).

An updated tasting mat would be most welcome and, if forthcoming, I will endeavour to access a printer tomorrow and post a photo of it in use.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

You will note that I have moved this thread to Meaningless Drivel. I will leave the entire thread here and then create a proper TN in the appropriate area once this bottle is finished.

Here is tonights contribution...

+24 Hours
Still raw on the nose and still has some heat. Now has a softer and thicker mouthfeel but still very young tasting. A very nice fruity aftertaste which goes on for a long time. This seems to be a wine to try again in 5 years time.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

confusion-preventing placemats

Post by jdaw1 »

Updated: confusion is now impossible.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Updated: confusion is now impossible.
Something seems to have happened to the O in SOURCE that could lead to confusion.

Please fix.

Derek

PS: If absolute accuracy is desired you should note that the O in SOURCE is infilled in orange whilst the outline of the letter O itself remains white on a black background in common wth the remaining letters.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

black-on-white text-only approximation

Post by jdaw1 »

It’s a monochrome black-on-white text-only approximation to the label. If it is so different that confusion is likely, then you’re back in the kitchen.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Re: black-on-white text-only approximation

Post by Conky »

jdaw1 wrote:It’s a monochrome black-on-white text-only approximation to the label. If it is so different that confusion is likely, then you’re back in the kitchen.
Would that be snoring, horizontal and asleep? (While a once in a lifetime Fonseca Vertical is still going on next door!) :lol: :lol: :lol: