2018 Quevedo

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

2018 Quevedo

Post by rich_n »

Opened to enjoy alongside :tpf: members for our virtual pre-NYE get together.

Decanted late morning ahead of the event, as we might expect this is entirely opaque with a deep red/almost maroon hew. Big dark fruit notes on the nose.

+9 hours: A big punchy wine, oodles of dark fruit on the nose and extremely tannic with a huge grip in the mid-late palate and a drying finish. Caramel and milk chocolate on that mid palate with plenty of that eucalyptus note. Almost too heavily tannic right now, I think this will be very enjoyable over the course of its life (others are more qualified than myself to say how long that life might be!)

+1 day: Things have softened a day later, still plenty of fruit and tannic punch, but these are now not entirely overpowering. A lovely acidity is now a little more prominent, holding everything in check. This is not an overly sweet wine and the finish is rather dry for a port, which I like.

+2 days: This is now a more rounded and softer wine, I think maybe without the same power it had before. However, it's still very enjoyable.

I look forward to tasting this regularly over the course of the next few decades and seeing how it evolves. V good, but I may have to drink sparingly while it is young as it seems to have plenty of potential.