The BIG Detox!!!

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Day 7: Tuesday

Breakfast: Freshly squeezed juice and cornlfakes

Lunch: Chicken salad

Dinner: Roast pork loin with baked potato and veg (same as yesterday - it was a big piece of pork :wink:

Alcohol: None

State of Mind: Watching Jo drink red wine all evening was difficult but I'll let her off as she had a bad day at work.

Win My Cellar If I Die Competition: Luc retired without putting up a fight.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

HAA..I just figured out what a Stone is...god bless my Apple computer. I am 11 Stones 88)
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Stones and stone

Post by jdaw1 »

One would say it in the singular: I am fifteen stone.

And eleven stone is ridiculously petite.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

An 11 stone copper? :shock:

Just to check Andy, that would make you 154 lb. I was that when I was 30 so can't suggest that it is unlikely, but I didn't live on a diet of burgers and doughnuts.
Port is basically a red drink
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

We don't call them donuts...they are pastries :lol:

I would be more stones, but all the bicycle riding/racing keeps me thin. Now the day I stop riding, whoa nelly, that figure will quickly go up :?
SimonSaysDrink
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by SimonSaysDrink »

(By order of Admin)

Having no clue what a stone is, nor the inclination to know due to its kidney-ish relevance, I elect to be the same as ADV: 11 stone.

As mentioned in an earlier thread, I've gone over a week now with no Port, and I haven't the slightest why. I suspect it's because I've very few bottles ready for drinking, and I'm not entirely ready to blow through my last remaining bottle of Javali LBV. Nevertheless, I imagine Ronnie would gladly provide me with another stash if the price were right. Truthfully, I cannot find a good store for Port around here, and if there's one selling Port, it's drastically lacking in older vintages. Any Germans with suggestions??? I think I've seen one bloke from Koln lurking in the shadows here 88) .

So, I suppose one might say I've gone on an enamel-saving diet. I only eat calcium now. Milk, cheese, joghurt and ice cream. I'll occasionally throw some cheese in a whole wheat pita, add a dose or two of organic spaghetti sauce (lycopene baby!) and some antibiotic-free pepperoni look-alikes, and finally sprinkle the concoction with a medley of spices. Some people call this (somewhat trivially) 'pizza', but it's more of a ham wallet really.

Wait, can I say that?
'The quickest way to end world hunger is to make fast food faster.' - William & Harry's Polka-Bot Explosion, Planet Earth's First Touring XBox 360 'Rock Star' Band
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I protest against this last post: it is clearly related to port and can therefore never be meaningless. Admin, be fierce on this kind of behaviour.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I think Admin1 or Admin3 should deal with this as I (Admin2) was the one who instructed the post to be placed here :oops:
Ernest H. Cockburn
SimonSaysDrink
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by SimonSaysDrink »

Lo and behold--the pussy pounces! Granted, the line between ham wallet and Port is a fuzzy and variegated one, but certainly we're talking detox here, no?
'The quickest way to end world hunger is to make fast food faster.' - William & Harry's Polka-Bot Explosion, Planet Earth's First Touring XBox 360 'Rock Star' Band
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Yes, but detox can be very much port related if the subject is addressed in the right (or wrong, depends on your view) manner.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Although I must admit that it's very much rewarding that you try to outdo your cruz ruby status without making a single useful post. You obviously belong on this forum. :)
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

RonnieRoots wrote:Although I must admit that it's very much rewarding that you try to outdo your cruz ruby status without making a single useful post. You obviously belong on this forum. :)
Very good point. I knew that he'd fit in well here.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RonnieRoots wrote: You obviously belong on this forum. :)
I agree, I think we have found another "Special One" - you'll fit in here like a hand in a glove 88)
Ernest H. Cockburn
SimonSaysDrink
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by SimonSaysDrink »

I do feel a bit sheepish at the moment. All these posts and not a damn bit of good they've done anyone. And I haven't a clue where to correctly post stuff. Ronnie, you're right. I am a novice. I deserve Cruz Ruby status at the moment more than any of my precursors…perhaps. I don't know exactly who they are, but I'm enjoying their pitiable attempts at detox. From what I've been told, alcohol is earth's natural antiseptic, and Port so full of it, along with copious quantities of beneficial antioxidants, like vitamin R(oriz) and my renowned favorite vitamin N(acional).

Should anyone find themselves at risk of premature death, it would seem what we all discuss on this so aptly named forum is the god-honest prescription for averting the early Out. Perhaps we should just be drinking MORE. Anyone considered THAT notion?

Ronnie-I still haven't read your PM. This confounded internet of mine keeps kicking me offline. I'm 'bout to break myself on it. Steve Holt-style.[/i]
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

SimonSaysDrink wrote: Should anyone find themselves at risk of premature death, it would seem what we all discuss on this so aptly named forum is the god-honest prescription for averting the early Out. Perhaps we should just be drinking MORE. Anyone considered THAT notion?
SSM,

You may not yet have stumbled across any reference to my theory (which I abide by) that if one drinks a bottle of birth year vintage port on their birthday each year they will live forever. I have been doing this for some time now and have yet to be proven wrong. So, in my view, it is definately working.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

SSM?

Isn't that extreme sado-masochism or something? That's a terrible example of national stereotyping, Derek, please apologise. :shock:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I thought that was his name in the afternoon?
Ernest H. Cockburn
SimonSaysDrink
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by SimonSaysDrink »

1981 Port-surely this would effect, not stymie premature death, no? SSM in the afternoon...I'm lost, though admittedly I'm party to a bit of name-changing. I am perhaps the 'Lion Who Has Changed His Spots', but entirely uncertain whether I am him to whom Derek refers.

I was for many years PfalzMan94 of the Wine Spectator scene. Seeing's how this crowd is much more pertinent and exciting-and welcoming-I've decided to alter the entire moniker scheme to ensure continuity in my own senile (and presumably,at this point, inebriated) head.

SSN

(if N it must be to signify nighty-night time)
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

The ability of this forum to make me LOL is staggering.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

IIRC, Quinta do Infantado is the only one who made an 1981 VP. I don't think there's stock enough to outlive you... Oh bugger, that's wine related again...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Back on topic...

Day 8: Wednesday

Breakfast: Nothing

Lunch: Tuna salad

Dinner: Tuna steak with whole-wheat pasta and tomato-based sauce

State of Mind: Amazed at the ability of so many people on this website, including me, to spend so much of their day talking absolute nonsense.

Win My Cellar If I Die Competition: Hilary has made a comeback today. Oh, no, that's another competion :roll:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
SimonSaysDrink
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by SimonSaysDrink »

You ought to try the ham wallet, Derek. It's quite tasty. And nutritious. It often takes well to wine, but liquor really does the trick.

Ronnie, when you've tired of your desert oasis and you decide to make your biannual trip to Portugal, we've got to hit up crazy Catarina and score some '81 VP. Once we get her liquored up, that is. When she sees this is cleary a matter or eternal life, then surely she'll cough up, let's see...one birthyear Port every birthday...(calculating life expectancy)...(adding random integers to accommodate copious Port consumption, random Robustos, ham wallet binges, Steve McQueen combat driving)...

12, maybe 18 bottles.

Think she's down?
Alex Bridgeman
Fonseca 1966

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Derek T. wrote:The ability of this forum to make me LOL is staggering.

Derek
Does that mean all you're doing is lolling around...
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Day 9: Thursday

Breakfast: Fruit juice

Lunch: Chicken salad and an apple

Dinner: Chicken and baked potato

State of Mind: When I close my eyes I can see steak and a glass of Fonseca 1966 :?

Win My Cellar If I Die Competition: Jdaw's behind the scenes cooperation is increasing his lead exponentially

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Derek T. wrote:Win My Cellar If I Die Competition: Jdaw's behind the scenes cooperation is increasing his lead exponentially
I have given you your admin rights back