Best Online Stores

Anything to do with Port.
anduno
Cruz Ruby

Best Online Stores

Post by anduno »

Hello everyone,
My name is Anduno Ferina and I would like to know which are the best online stores for Port Wine. Can anyone help me?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: Best Online Stores

Post by djewesbury »

Hello Anduno. It all depends on what you're interested in buying (and how much) and where you're located. A great place to start searching is wine-searcher.com. You can put your location into the search and it will search for a particular wine of a certain vintage at online stores located near to you. Prices can vary quite a bit depending on where you want to have your port shipped.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
anduno
Cruz Ruby

Post by anduno »

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for your quick replay. I will certainly go to search in wine-searcher.com. I'm from Italy and I'm interested in Taylor's 40 years old tawny.

On a quick search on google I found the store www.portwineonline.net. Do you know this store? Is it reliable? Has anyone purchased in this store?

Thank you all for your help.

Regards,
Anduro Ferina.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

A search for this in Italy brought up this link where the Taylor 40-year-old is half the price of the site you mentioned...
Daniel J.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I have found the ratings provided by Wine-Searcher.com to be reasonably reliable. If they have a store rated 4 or 5 stars it seems to be pretty safe to buy from them. At a 3-star store you would want to call and talk to them about the wine you want to buy before you order; make sure it is actually what is listed on the internet and ask questions about the bottle's condition and provenance. But if the answers are acceptable then I would not have a problem ordering from a 3-star store either.
Glenn Elliott
novillero
Cheap Ruby

Post by novillero »

anduno wrote:Hello Daniel,

Thank you for your quick replay. I will certainly go to search in wine-searcher.com. I'm from Italy and I'm interested in Taylor's 40 years old tawny.

On a quick search on google I found the store http://www.portwineonline.net. Do you know this store? Is it reliable? Has anyone purchased in this store?

Regards,
Anduro Ferina.
I just went to that website, and the prices seem high to me. 71.49 euros for a bottle of Bin 27 (over $93.00 USD). I can get that at a local store in the USA for under $20 (under 15.00 euro)

Sure, it ships in a nice case. But the prices appear ... err... ummm... exaggerated.
anduno
Cruz Ruby

Post by anduno »

Thank you all for your usefull Help.

I haven't found this store at the wine-searcher.com. However, i'm going To call them on the phone and afterwards I will post here my impressions about the conversation.

Of course the princes are high, it's a online store and We cannot compare them To a local store, specially me that where i'm from, there is no port wine local store with quality port. But they seem To have Port wines hard To find on a local and online store.

The case is Very nice. It seems To me, also, that they offer a costumization, and the shipping is for free, which alows me To think that the price you see is the price you pay, which is not very common in an online store.

After contact them, I will post here what We have talk about it and what are my impressions about them. I will follow the instructions that you gave me.

Once again, thank you all for your Help. It was Very helpfull. This is surelly a Very goog fórum!

Regards To all,
Anduro.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

djewesbury wrote:A search for this in Italy brought up this link where the Taylor 40-year-old is half the price of the site you mentioned...
Anduno - I don't know if you saw this post, which contains a link to a store in Italy who will supply this port to you. Postage and packing could not possibly cost another €100, which is the difference in price between them and the online port store you mentioned. I would be very careful with the store you mentioned first of all - it seems that they are adding a very large amount of money for not very much - delivery and a wooden case. I'd be surprised if the Taylor 40-year-old is not supplied in a wooden case anyway (if you really want it!) since it is a premium product.

It is usually much better to buy locally if you can, rather than to have wine shipped a long distance across Europe!
Daniel J.
anduno
Cruz Ruby

Post by anduno »

Djewesbury - Yes I did and you are right about it.

Regards to all.
anduno
Cruz Ruby

Post by anduno »

My dear friends,

I have recently called to a few online stores (starting from the cheapest one) looking for this port wine that I previously mentioned but they told me that they didn't have any bottle for sale.

The only store that has it available is http://www.portwineonline.net and they told me that they are from Oporto (right next to the cellars where port wine is produced) and that the quantity produced for this port wine is very small (arround 1500 bottles per year for all the world). So, what I want to tell you is that some port wines are very hard to find even if the wine-searcher.com says that are many online stores where we can buy it. When I called them, they don't have the port wine available. They do this because they just want to call us to visit their online store, leading us, eventually, to buy other products.

One thing I can guarantee, the portwineonline.net has the 40 year's old tawny because I bought it from them (the case is really beautiful) and they gave an excellent assistance to me and was the cheapest online store that in fact has this port. The bottled arrived at my home in Palermo, Italy, without any damage and well packaged!

Before making the order they send me a link, from their youtube channel, to see how the bottle is packaged, which gave me an extra trust. Here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM3V2mxZ0Y0

So, I recommend them.

Best regards and once again thank you all for your help.

Anduno.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

As others have mentioned, the shop looks extremely expensive and is hard to recommend for that reason.

The Taylor 40yr port you are after is widely available at a much better price. For example, there are at least two reliable London stores that stock it and offer international shipping - Uncorked and the Whisky Exchange

Possibly too late if you have ordered from them this time already, but one to bear in mind for next time as the mark-ups at the shop you have linked really seem to me to be unacceptable.
Rob C.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

anduno wrote:(the case is really beautiful
It should be, it cost £100.. That's as much as the cost of the port..
Uncorked
Daniel J.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Is it only me who thinks that Anduno has some sort of commercial tie to this store? That or he just likes to pay insane amounts for his ports.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Best Online Stores

Post by djewesbury »

RonnieRoots wrote:Is it only me who thinks that Anduno has some sort of commercial tie to this store? That or he just likes to pay insane amounts for his ports.
I think he's just been gulled by a pretty case and a quite peculiar website..
I wonder, what would forum users buy if they were handed £200 and ordered to spend it on a single bottle of port?
Daniel J.
TLW
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by TLW »

djewesbury wrote:
RonnieRoots wrote:Is it only me who thinks that Anduno has some sort of commercial tie to this store? That or he just likes to pay insane amounts for his ports.
I think he's just been gulled by a pretty case and a quite peculiar website..
I wonder, what would forum users buy if they were handed £200 and ordered to spend it on a single bottle of port?
For that price (depending on VAT) the 1963 Fonseca would be my first choice, followed closely by the 1963 Taylor - although they may be trading a bit steep on their 50th.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

djewesbury wrote:I wonder, what would forum users buy if they were handed £200 and ordered to spend it on a single bottle of port?
Niepoort Garrafeira 1977 is high on my list.