Eastern North-America Offline #2

Anything to do with Port.
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Eastern North-America Offline #2

Post by Luc »

After attending my 1st offline , meeting Fred , Moses , Steve , I've come to the conclusion that there's more to port than peanut butter .
This being said , I'm officialy stating that my relationship with Port & peanut butter has ended . . .
It was fun while It lasted , but It's time to move on . . .
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Luc not having any more peanut butter

Post by jdaw1 »

Does this mean Luc is not having any more peanut butter, or that Luc is not having any more port?
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

No more mixing of peanut butter & Port . .
Port stays :) The bottles at the Offline :

- '85 Dow
- '83 Noval Nacional
- '80 Ferreira
- '85 Ramos Pintos
- Offley tawny ( 10 yr , I think )
Last edited by Luc on 18:14 Wed 21 Nov 2007, edited 2 times in total.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Luc wrote:No more mixing of peanut butter & Port . .
I feel strangely empty inside :?

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
ajfeather
Fonseca LBV

Post by ajfeather »

I think I will cope never liked the stuff (peanut butter), now cheese and jelly with port I could cope with but that probably deserves another thread :roll:
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I know one gentleman who runs a different port site who will be very interested in Luc's news.

Welcome to the real world of port.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

AHB wrote:I know one gentleman who runs a different port site who will be very interested in Luc's news.

Welcome to the real world of port.

Alex
I'll inform said gentleman of this earth shattering event . 88)
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Frederick Blais »

It was great to meet some for the first time and others for a 2nd. I did chear Luc about the silence on peanut butter and he was quite a serious guy enjoying every sip of port.

Here are quick impression, I did not take any notes.

Ferreira 1980 was from a bottle that stand upright during 20+years because it was place like this in the wooden box. It had a clear tawny color, just like a 20 yo. It was simple but enjoyable.

Ramos Pinto 85 was a nice Port, elegant nose, floral, some field berries flavours. Palate was fresh, sweet but still good acidity, it is still showing a lot of fruit, tannins are smooth and integrated. Mature but can see more years.

Noval Nacional 83, after a bad bottle I had earlier this year, my brother in law decided to open his. The color is brick red with tawny edge. The nose is really something. Powerful flacours of tea, candied orange peal, tobacco, candied fruits and nutmeg. The palate follows accordingly with sweet orange and tea flavours, the acidity is strong for a VP but not unbalaced. Good finish. Not a typical VP but it did show very well that night. I don't know how it will age, it is not often I find VP with such acidity, how long can it stay balanced, this is the question.

Dow's 1985, it took a while for this port to awake. But it the end it proved to be very nice. The first nose was more interesting with sweet cherries flavours mixed with chocolate and tobacco. That palate was rich, good acidity again and some orange zest/tobacco too on the finish.

Ramos Pinto 20 yo, always a favourite for me, the finish just keep on building layers of flavours during 30 secs, impressive stuff.

Great evening guys! We'll have to do it again in a few months.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Great read Fred,

But I also want to hear my odd buddy Lucs' account as well. I posted on the Dark Side, to emphasise, that where ever it is, I'd love to hear Lucs' thoughts. I get the impression he embraced VP in a way he had only dabbled with before.

Luc,

TN's, general thoughts, photographs, etc???

Your mate from over the Pond is waiting!

Alan
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

Alan , you hit the nail on the head .
At first I felt a little out place , I was listening very intently on what Fred or Moses or Steve had to say .
The words to describe each Port , seemed to roll off Freds tongue with ease .
In fact I started talking about teaching ( with Moses girlfriend ) even before I talked about Port .
But once the Port began to flow , the experiences were shared from the problems of taking pictures in the Douro to finding Port in New Hampshire .
I was the last to leave , wanting to savor every moment .
Can't wait for the next Offline in a few months . . .
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

Fred is spot on the TN's. I mentioned to Roy about the '80 Ferreira and he said even if the the bottle had been on its side that it was a very light colored port. Kind of like a tawny, but not exactly... If that makes sense?

The Nacional nose was out of this world! I don't feel the Dow really got to shine to its fullest extent. This is a port to revisit 5+ years from now.

Great company and conversation with a beautiful platter of cheese.

Oh ya... Sandeman 20 year for $35 at NH liquor store! This weekend, they're having 20% off mix 'n match cases too.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Sandeman 20... One of the best 20's I have ever had.