1980 Quinta do Noval Nacional

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1980 Noval Nacional

Post by DRT »

Last edited by DRT on 23:13 Thu 29 May 2008, edited 1 time in total.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1980 Nacional

Post by jdaw1 »

Decanter #11, translucent red. Unimpressive nose, accurately described by THRA as ‟coarse”. And in the mouth the dominant sensation was heat in the mid-palate. Guessed to be Taylor but actually Nacional: wildly over-priced for the port that it is.

Though Derek did say that ‟you can chuck this down your neck for hours”. Not my impression of it.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=15066#15066][b]Here[/b][/url] AHB wrote:
Quinta do Noval Nacional 1980
Light red centre, just a touch darker than the Fonseca of the same vintage. Very open and enjoyable nose with prunes and rhubarb dominating. Mouthfilling entry, developing enormously with lots of orange and roasted meat flavours. Huge start to the aftertaste, which fades away very quickly but stays noticeable for a long time. Really enjoyable for drinking now. 91/100.
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I was really taken aback when it was revealed that this was a Nacional; it was the second palest wine of them all, and really unimpressive.

If this bottle is typical of the '80 NN's, Mr Seely should offer a free swap with a better year, to get them out of circulation, and protect Noval's reputation.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill