1980 Ferreira

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1980 Ferreira

Post by DRT »

Last edited by DRT on 23:08 Thu 29 May 2008, edited 1 time in total.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1980 Ferreira

Post by jdaw1 »

Decanter #14: Ferreira. Mid-red, and quite translucent. Nosing of lovely red fruit, and yellow melon. But this transformed in the mouth to cherry, though, unusually, cherry without candy. THRA thought that it “lacks substance”. The melon led me to guessing Nacional: but actually Ferreira! Topsy-turvy rankings. 
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=15066#15066][b]Here[/b][/url] AHB wrote:
Ferreira 1980
Good healthy red colour with an orange rim and transparent centre. Woody nose, of fresh sawdust, mixed with delicate rose-hips. Good density in the mouth with lovely elegance but a little hollow in the middle. Wonderful aftertaste with excellent variations and phases during the long length. Very enjoyable and drinking at its peak today. 90/100.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

My note:

A little pale and lacking in substance, but this was nevertheless a good quaff, ranking sixh in my personal order of preference.

In my line-up of guesses, I knew that a Taylor would be somewhere on the table, but was struggling to work out which it was. In the event I guessed Taylor for Ferreira - and vice versa.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill