1830 Ferreira

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1830 Ferreira

Post by DRT »

"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1830 Ferreira

Post by jdaw1 »

A cloudy orange to behold, and nosing primarily of sugar. To taste initially acid, then chocolate orange. Great length. AHB found grapefruit, which is a good description of the acidity. Held up well through the evening.

We were all in awe of having been allowed to sample such a treasure. Once again, even three days later in another continent, I thank CG for parting with it.

Thanks to DRT for remarking on the typographical errors.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I remember commenting that the colour was slightly green and was a touch cloudy. I hope I am less green and cloudy when I am 178 years old.

I took a small sample home which rendered the following TN:

+24 Hours
Still slightly cloudy with a green tinge around the rim. Very delicate caramel nose but also smelling very slightly of wood. Smooth and thick but quite high acidity. A second mouthfull coats the inside of the mouth and is very thick and syrupy. The finish is very very long and mouthwatering. This was certainly better last night, as you might expect from such an old and fragile wine, but now I can say I have tasted 1830 Ferriera twice :wink:

...and, just for fun...

Jo said: Smells of malt extract, marzipan and wood. "Tastes like whisky that doesn't hurt"
[DRT: Don' ask!]

Above all, what a great honour to be able to drink this stuff. CG is a true gentleman.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

It was a tremendous privilege to be one of the people with whom Christopher shared this treasure. My notes taken on the evening were:

Very pale honey colour, distinctly green on the rim. Very floral nose, old but still alive and interesting. Initially sweet and elegant but showing a lovely pomelo or grapefruit acidity. The pomelo continues into the aftertaste, which is surprisingly long. Very drinkable at the venerable age of 178 and a real treat to share the bottle. The best of the 19th century wines drunk at this tasting. Wine of the night. I gave this 92/100, making no allowance (or at least trying to make no allowance) for the age of this wine.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.