1978 Quinta da Eira Velha

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 1978 Eira Velha

Post by jdaw1 »

EV78: mid-translucency red, with a small amount of VA on the nose. To taste, heat, rich unctuousness sweetness. Lots of heat. Length without heat. In this company, great.

Later, CSD: ‟like being whipped by a dominatrix, probably American born, probably West coast”. We defer to his expertise.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

I stand by my call -- at first pour, it showed some promise, despite its simplicity. As this night wore on, the wine became bored, harsh, and unloving.

For the benefit of the uninitiated --

This wine was trying to walk what is a fine line between pain and pleasure regarding heat and passion on the finish. I say a dominatrix, probably West Coast (and really I mean most likely Portland), because this wine was a bit amateurish with respect to gauging the appropriate mixture of pain and pleasure (i.e., having far too much of the former, and precious little of the latter). Generally well meaning, just a bit inexperienced with balance.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Much better bouquet than palate. On the nose you had some promise which was totally ruined by the first sip. Simple and falling apart.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com