1970 Quinta do Noval Nacional

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1970 Quinta do Noval Nacional

Post by jdaw1 »

Part of The 1970 Horizontal (the definite article being most appropriate all hail organiser Axel P), in The RAF Club, 128 Piccadilly, London W1J 7PY, on Friday 30th January 2009.

Links:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1970 Quinta do Noval Nacional

Post by DRT »

I have lost my notes from the final session but recall that many, but not all, thought this was not showing well on the night. AHB reliably informs me that my rather extensive and flowery note said "Melon".

I have a sample whch I brought home to see whether or not it would improve. This is my note from Decanting + 2 Days:

A powerful liquorice nose. Light weight, rather watery. Citrus flavours quickly fade to a quite bitter finish. Certainly not what I would expect from a stellar wine in a great year. What a pity.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 1970 Quinta do Noval Nacional

Post by jdaw1 »

1970 Quinta do Noval Nacional: underperforming reputation (and certainly expense). With something very close to passionfruit, and also something that DRT rightly described as ‟melon”.